Laura Seitz, Laura Seitz, Deseret News
TACOMA, Wash. — Newly-released court documents show that blood found at Josh Powell's Utah home was that of his missing wife.
Powell's wife, Susan, vanished from their home in December 2009. Josh Powell was the only suspect in her presumed murder. He maintained his innocence and said he had taken their boys, then 2 and 4, on a midnight camping trip in freezing temperatures the night she disappeared.
On Feb. 5 Josh Powell locked a social worker out of his rental house, attacked the boys with a hatchet and then ignited the home in an explosive, gas-fueled inferno. The social worker was not injured.
User discretion: Court documents contain some explicit material.
Tweets from the Deseret News Crime Team:
Warrant says Susan Powell "became tired after eating a meal that was prepared by her husband" on day she went missing.
Josh Powell told his sister he was at work the day after Susan disappeared, then changed his story to say he'd been camping, warrant states.
Sister told Josh he needed to return home because police were there and Susan was missing. He asked her "how much she knew," then hung up.
During initial search of Josh Powell's vehicle, Susan Powell's cell phone was found. It was turned off. Josh couldn't explain why he had it.
Letter found in Susan Powell's safe deposit box was addressed to family, asking that it now be shown to Josh. She wrote she didn't trust him. Letter was Susan's last will and testament. Susan's letter requested reader to speak with Jennifer Graves, her sister in law, if something were to happen to her.
Susan Powell wrote that if she died, "it may not be an accident, even if it looks like one," warrant states.
Josh Powell to Susan's coworker: The west desert is so full of mine shafts , tunnels you would dispose of a body and no one could find it.
Susan Powell's blood was found on the tile floor adjacent to the sofa in Josh and Susan's West Valley home.
West Valley police have talked to more than 300 people, but only spoke to Josh once.
After police seized Josh Powell's van, he rented a car and bought a new cell phone that was activated in Tremonton. He traveled 800 miles.
Josh withdrew all of Susan's IRA accounts 10 days after she was reported missing.
One month after Susan went missing, Charlie told primary teacher "my mom is dead." He told another that his mom went camping with them but didn't come home. He did not now why.
Police also found photos of Susan Powell in her underwear, appearing unaware her picture was being taken.
Warrant: Search of Steve Powell's home found images of Susan's face pasted on photos of nude women .
- Letters to family show Steven Powell still...
- Davis County honor student arrested in deaths...
- Police locate West Point teen called 'person...
- Josh Powell made 'admission of guilt' in...
- Chaffetz not willing to take impeachment off...
- Stump the Smith: Can you answer the questions...
- ESPN trivia guru: University of Utah graduate...
- 2 Utah high schools ranked among the best in...
- Chaffetz not willing to take... 55
- Mia Love announces she's officially... 43
- S.L. draws up airport plans 33
- Couples registry gets preliminary nod... 29
- XanGo co-founder accuses partners of... 24
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah... 23
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over,... 21
- Letters to family show Steven Powell... 20