The more she learns about him the more impressed she is by his performance on the song.
"He's found a lot of nuance and subtlety in the whole album 'Hemingway's Whiskey,'" Potter said. "I do think he's a true artist and a musician who understands what an artist needs. That subtlety and nuance really lends itself to 'You and Tequila.'"
"Hemingway's Whiskey" is one of Chesney's most celebrated efforts. It was an album a long time coming, stripped down and retooled after Chesney decided to take a step back and re-evaluate what he was doing. "You and Tequila" is just one of several hits and it was nominated for Grammy and Country Music Association Awards as well.
"I think the 'Hemingway's Whiskey' album has a sense of freedom in it with his material and his performances," his longtime producer, Buddy Cannon, said. "For the most part, it's not one of the high-energy, rock-edged kind of records, though there are a couple of cuts on there that would fit into that category. But overall I think that if you look at the album as a whole, it's just like he stepped up to a different plateau musically."
And that was the goal when Chesney created a hubbub by pulling country's most successful act off the road for a year, and retooling his career to reflect the artist he's become. The avalanche of ACM nominations — and perhaps another coronation on Sunday — is a reflection of how the country community feels about it.
Chesney feels the nominations are "solid" and says he's proud of them for what they represent.
"When we came back, it was awesome," Chesney said. "It was like our first tour ever, you know, and it just felt great that the people there in charge of the nominations feel that in their gut."
Associated Press writer Caitlin R. King in Nashville contributed to this report.
- Five for Families: Live-action Disney films...
- 2,000 LED-tagged pigeons stage show in NYC sky
- Carnegie Hall celebrates 125 years and counting
- It's May the Fourth: What's next for the Star...
- Haunting, thoughtful 'Jane Eyre' at Hale...
- Odysseo extends stay in Utah to May 30
- Tiffany Gee Lewis: All the world's a staged...
- Hale theater looks ahead to '17 season as...
- It's May the Fourth: What's next for... 2
- UTubers: Lindsey Stirling, Alex Boye,... 2
- A Marvel movie primer: Movies,... 1
- 2,000 LED-tagged pigeons stage show in... 0
- Carnegie Hall celebrates 125 years and... 0
- Five for Families: Live-action Disney... 0
- Haunting, thoughtful 'Jane Eyre' at... 0
- Odysseo extends stay in Utah to May 30 0