BURLINGTON, Vt. — Raising campaign cash in reliably Democratic Vermont, President Barack Obama on Friday called this year's presidential race a "clarifying election" that will determine what the country stands for.
Obama spoke at a $7,500-per-person luncheon fundraiser Friday, where he said the general election would be a "healthy debate for the nation." Obama said Republicans are peddling a "fundamentally different vision of America."
"It's a vision that says that America is about looking out for yourself, not for other people," Obama said. "It's an America that denies something like climate change, that rejects it, that takes a position on immigration that would have been unthinkable in either party just a few years ago."
Obama said the economy was getting stronger and businesses were beginning to feel more confident. He also touted his health care law, though without mentioning the Supreme Court case to determine the constitutionality of its main provision.
Event organizers said Obama's stop in Vermont marked the first trip to the state by a sitting president since 1995.
Later Friday, Obama was to speak at a large fundraising rally on the campus of the University of Vermont. He was also attending two fundraisers in Portland, Maine.
Obama's four events are his last fundraisers before Saturday's monthly and quarterly campaign fundraising deadline. The president raised $45 million last month for his re-election.
- 10 things to know about corporate inversions
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh Hewitt...
- It's about time the government recognize the...
- Freelancers and millennials help usher in the...
- John Lennon's killer: My life is all about...
- Student evades monitors, spreads Ebola to...
- Obama tamps down prospect of strikes in Syria
- Mexico authorities stage midnight migrant raid
- A New York Times article said Michael... 43
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 36
- 10 things to know about corporate... 32
- For the first time in American history,... 30
- Doug Robinson: When did Missouri turn... 25
- Obama tamps down prospect of strikes in... 15
- Why the poverty cycle is harder to... 15
- Winning plaintiffs in 3 states want... 14