Nevada took a 3-0 lead in the first game, scoring runs in the second, third and fourth innings, but Weber State bounced back quickly.
After senior third baseman Lyndsey Minnich reached on an error, the Wildcats found themselves in a difficult spot after it was ruled that freshman Kaitlin Anderson made an illegal appearance in the batting order, where she had replaced Cunningham. After a lengthy conference between the umpires, Anderson was ruled out.
The break, however, jolted the Wildcats' bats to life as sophomore Brooke Silva hit a double and then Clark was hit by a pitch to load the bases with just one out. Freshman Cydnee Clarke was walked on a full count to make it 3-1. After a flyout to left field, London Clarke hit an infield single to bring score Silva and again load the bases, setting the stage for Dixon's left-liner triple to the fence to clear the bases and put Weber State in front 5-3.
The Wildcats' defense stifled the Wolf Pack the rest of the way, holding Nevada to just two hits over the final three innings to secure their 11th win of the season.
Nevada jumped ahead 1-0 in in the second game, and opened up a 6-0 lead after a five-run third inning.
Weber State scored its lone run of the game in the third inning when Minnich hit an RBI single to center field to score Dixon.
The Wildcats will take an 11-18 record into Saturday's PCSC opener at Northern Colorado, the best non-conference record for Weber State since restarting the softball program in 2010.
"We have been waiting for this all year," Dixon said. "We are excited because we are ready. We are going to lay off the pitches that aren't ours, and crush the ones that come into our zone."
First pitch of the four-game series with the Bears is set for 2 p.m. on Saturday in Greeley, Colo.
- Doug Robinson: 'In Football We Trust'...
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around as...
- Utah high schoolers who've reached the Super...
- Best of the West: Shifting teams around after...
- BYU basketball guard Anson Winder and...
- Morning links: ESPN's Chad Ford draft...
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes still outstanding from...
- Utes get it done at home again
- Brad Rock: BYU asleep at the switch on... 99
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 62
- Dick Harmon: BYU continuing new policy... 56
- Utah football: Utes add former BYU... 51
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 37
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 28
- Utes get it done at home again 21