SOUTH JORDAN — Brandon Packard didn't know who the Fullmer brothers were when he showed up at their South Jordan gym to learn how to box.
"I have always wanted to try boxing," said the 22-year-old Houston native. "I looked at gyms on the internet and the Fullmer Brothers were free."
And free was the right price for a BYU student preparing to get married next month.
What the pre-law student didn't expect was how much he'd love boxing, and how much more he'd learn from the state's first family of boxing.
"I've gotten really close to them," he said of the Fullmers. "They've helped me change my life. They've helped me through a lot more than boxing."
Packard will be competing in his first Golden Gloves tournament Friday night at 141 pounds. He said his only other tournament experience was in January and he won that tournament.
Packard's fight will be part of the annual Utah State Golden Gloves Boxing Tournament beginning Friday at 7 p.m. at Sorenson Multicultural and Unity Fitness Center, 855 W. California Ave.
The winners will compete in the Rocky Mountain Regional Golden Gloves Tournament on April 13-14 at the Sports Mall in Murray.
Packard said he grew up playing sports — football, basketball, track and cross-country running.
"I just never had the opportunity to box," said Packard, who admits his mother wasn't wild about him taking up the sport. "But boxing is my favorite. It's a one-on-one sport, and it's something that comes natural to me."
He said learning has been painful at times.
"I liked it, but I got beat up pretty good," he said. "I still do. It's kind of hard sometimes, but I really love it."
Admission is $12 for adults and $5 for children 5-17 years old.
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Ranking the best point guards in the NBA...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars'...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 285
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 92
- Things won't get any easier for... 77
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 48
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 38
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37