SOUTH JORDAN — Brandon Packard didn't know who the Fullmer brothers were when he showed up at their South Jordan gym to learn how to box.
"I have always wanted to try boxing," said the 22-year-old Houston native. "I looked at gyms on the internet and the Fullmer Brothers were free."
And free was the right price for a BYU student preparing to get married next month.
What the pre-law student didn't expect was how much he'd love boxing, and how much more he'd learn from the state's first family of boxing.
"I've gotten really close to them," he said of the Fullmers. "They've helped me change my life. They've helped me through a lot more than boxing."
Packard will be competing in his first Golden Gloves tournament Friday night at 141 pounds. He said his only other tournament experience was in January and he won that tournament.
Packard's fight will be part of the annual Utah State Golden Gloves Boxing Tournament beginning Friday at 7 p.m. at Sorenson Multicultural and Unity Fitness Center, 855 W. California Ave.
The winners will compete in the Rocky Mountain Regional Golden Gloves Tournament on April 13-14 at the Sports Mall in Murray.
Packard said he grew up playing sports — football, basketball, track and cross-country running.
"I just never had the opportunity to box," said Packard, who admits his mother wasn't wild about him taking up the sport. "But boxing is my favorite. It's a one-on-one sport, and it's something that comes natural to me."
He said learning has been painful at times.
"I liked it, but I got beat up pretty good," he said. "I still do. It's kind of hard sometimes, but I really love it."
Admission is $12 for adults and $5 for children 5-17 years old.
- Dick Harmon: Christian Stewart's season of...
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an athlete,...
- BYU football: After initial struggles,...
- Red and Blue Recruits: BYU's new commit gets...
- Cougars fall short again in 87-85 loss to...
- Records fall as BYU, Chase Fischer shoot past...
- High school basketball: Tuesday's roundup
- High school boys basketball: 5A team-by-team...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 160
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 94
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 66
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 48
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 47
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 40
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 38
- Utes on the verge of a winning Pac-12... 30