Police haven't charged Zimmerman, who has a white father and Hispanic mother. That has set off widespread public outrage and protests across the country.
Pasadena police haven't released the officers' names or their ethnicities.
Assemblywoman Holly Mitchell, D-Los Angeles, said that like the Martin case, the Pasadena shooting highlights the need for a continuing discussion about racial profiling.
"The bigger picture is bias and racism," said Mitchell, secretary of the Legislative Black Caucus. "And while the particulars of the two cases may be different — while the perpetrator who actually fired the weapon may be different — the fact of the matter is two young black men are dead."
The Los Angeles County of Independent Review will investigate McDade's shooting, Sanchez said.
Pasadena police accepted many of that agency's recommendations two years ago in connection with the fatal shooting of Leroy Barnes Jr. Police acknowledged they incorrectly reported that Barnes fired his gun at officers before being shot during a traffic stop. Barnes was killed in the backseat of his car during a struggle over a gun, police said.
Harper, the McDade family attorney, said she is considering filing a federal civil rights lawsuit but will hold off on any decisions until a full investigation is done.
"We will let the police do their investigation but we are mindful of the facts as they stand now are suspicious," Harper said. "To continue to perpetrate the story they are giving only exacerbates the family's emotional distress."
- From 0.3 to 81.1: What percentage of each...
- 2 on missing Malaysia jet used stolen EU...
- Terrorist attack? Mechanical failure? Reasons...
- Oil slicks found in hunt for Malaysia jet...
- FBI to investigate disappearance of a...
- Rutgers faculty council pushes for school to...
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- No longer loyal to Boy Scouts of America,...
- Obama administration allows 2-year... 28
- Putin: Russia has right to use force in... 22
- Disney ending funding to Boy Scouts in... 21
- Half of millennials more likely to lean... 14
- Former IRS official Lois Lerner again... 11
- Early auditions for 2016 Republican... 11
- Rutgers faculty council pushes for... 10
- New Ukraine prime minister: Crimea will... 9