Trayvon Martin physically assaulted and threatened to kill George Zimmerman before Zimmerman took out a handgun and shot him, Zimmerman's father told an Orlando news station.
The Miami Herald reports that, Robert Zimmerman said his son shot Martin because "Martin got on top of him and just started beating him in the face, in his nose, hitting his head on the concrete.
According the Boston Globe, surveillance video shows George Zimmerman being lead from a police car in handcuffs after the incident, and an attorney for Martin's family says he did not have any injuries to his face or head.
Martin's family has repeatedly asserted that Martin did nothing wrong.
On Feb. 26, Martin left his father's fiance's house to walk to a nearby convenience store. While returning home, neighborhood watch captain George Zimmerman saw Martin and called police to report suspicious behavior.
According to audio of the call, Zimmerman told police that he though Martin was "up to no good" and "on drugs or something." When police arrived, they found Martin face-down with a gunshot wound to the chest.
The incident has sparked a national dialogue on race. Activists wear hoodies, clothing that Martin was wearing the night he was killed, as a sign of solidarity.
Witness accounts of the shooting have varied widely.
Mary Cutcher, who heard the altercation from her kitchen, told CNN "Zimmerman was standing over the body with -- basically straddling the body with his hands on Trayvon's back And it didn't seem to me that he was trying to help him in any way. I didn't hear any struggle prior to the gunshot."
Martin's girlfriend, who was on the phone with Martin seconds before the shooting said that she heard a brief exchange between Martin and Zimmerman.
"What are you stopping me for?" Martin asked Zimmerman, according to the girl.
"What are you doing around here?" Zimmerman said.
According to CNN, "The girl said she then got the impression that an altercation was taking place and that someone had pushed Martin, because the headset fell out of his ear, and the phone shut off."
A witness identified as "John" only corroborated Zimmerman's story to FOX 13 in Tampa Bay.
According to FOX 13 " Sanford police say Zimmerman was bloody in his face and head, and the back of his shirt was wet and had grass stains, indicating a struggle took place before the shooting."
- Britain has a new princess — and...
- Have you seen 'Age of Ultron'? Here are 50...
- Black mothers wonder if their lost babies are...
- Video: Town crier announces birth of...
- New royal baby: Destined to be a 'spare to...
- 18 of the best made-up words from children's...
- Rage to relief in Baltimore as 6 officers...
- Nigeria: Nearly 300 freed women, children led...
- Opposing sides of same-sex marriage... 124
- After historic arguments, Supreme Court... 62
- Outcome of same-sex marriage case hard... 54
- Religious liberty issues dog Supreme... 44
- Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders: 'I am... 40
- Rage to relief in Baltimore as 6... 38
- Stewart, Bishop launch group to take... 37
- Defending the Faith: Going up to Jerusalem 23