Ed Zurga, File, Associated Press
NEW ORLEANS — Danny Manning, the Kansas assistant and former star for the Jayhawks, has agreed to coach the Tulsa men's basketball team.
Tulsa announced the hire on Thursday. The 46-year-old Manning is in New Orleans, where Kansas will play Ohio State in the NCAA tournament semifinals on Saturday night. He won't join the Golden Hurricane until next week.
Manning has spent nine years on the Kansas staff and has been a full-time assistant since 2007. He won national championships as a player (1988) and assistant (2008).
The school's all-time leading scorer and rebounder takes over for Doug Wojcik, who was fired by Tulsa after failing to make the NCAA tournament in six seasons
THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.
A person familiar with the situation says Kansas assistant coach Danny Manning has agreed to become the head coach at Tulsa.
CBSSports.com first reported Manning's decision.
Manning will help coach the Jayhawks through the Final Four, according to a person who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity Thursday because an official announcement had not been made.
Kansas plays Ohio State in the national semifinals Saturday night.
Manning has spent nine years on the Kansas staff and has been a full-time assistant since 2007, working primarily with the big men.
The school's all-time leading scorer and rebounder takes over for Doug Wojcik, who was fired by Tulsa after failing to make the NCAA tournament in six seasons.
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- Saturday morning quarterback: 3 stars and...
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 55
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48