LOS ANGELES — At the little hole-in-the-wall cafe that serves as the unofficial pit stop for Los Angeles Dodgers fans heading to baseball games, there is Magic in the air.
That's Magic as in Magic Johnson, who, his city awakened to learn Wednesday, has been named one of the new co-owners of LA's once equally beloved baseball team.
Everyone loves Magic, said Dorman Austin as he sat at a table in Philippe's, the 104-year-old corner deli that claims to have invented the French-dipped sandwich.
Throughout the place, where newspapers with Johnson's picture sat on tables, that sentiment was repeated over and over.
As for the current owner, the reviled Frank McCourt, the general sentiment was goodbye.
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars looms...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and often...
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- Utah basketball team makes it a doubly-good...
- Sunday morning QB: Stars and stats from No....
- BYU-Memphis an 'intriguing' bowl matchup
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 62
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 50
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28
- Brad Rock: This is where conference... 24