LOS ANGELES — At the little hole-in-the-wall cafe that serves as the unofficial pit stop for Los Angeles Dodgers fans heading to baseball games, there is Magic in the air.
That's Magic as in Magic Johnson, who, his city awakened to learn Wednesday, has been named one of the new co-owners of LA's once equally beloved baseball team.
Everyone loves Magic, said Dorman Austin as he sat at a table in Philippe's, the 104-year-old corner deli that claims to have invented the French-dipped sandwich.
Throughout the place, where newspapers with Johnson's picture sat on tables, that sentiment was repeated over and over.
As for the current owner, the reviled Frank McCourt, the general sentiment was goodbye.
- Peavler: Is Bronco Mendenhall the Steve...
- Live streams: 1A volleyball tournament...
- Felt's Facts, playoff edition: Newcomers,...
- Ranking the starting centers in the NBA from...
- Langi making an impact at linebacker for BYU
- Middle Tennessee excited about home game...
- Utah Jazz get blown out by Dallas 120-102
- Mormons in the rodeo: LDS competitors find...
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 59
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 56
- High school football: State tournament... 54
- Peavler: Is Bronco Mendenhall the Steve... 49
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the... 34
- BYU men, women both picked to finish... 32