Utah Utes baseball: Utes set for Pac-12 home opener against No. 6 UCLA
This murderer's row of a schedule is a far cry from their Mountain West slate, where not one team is ranked. Redshirt junior right-hander Joe Pond, Utah's likely starter in the series opener, said the Utes aren't overwhelmed by the schedule but their mistakes will be magnified.
"You have to play your best baseball every day to win," Pond said. "The games come down to a single at-bat or a single pitch."
Cooper said despite the traditional one-game-at-a-time approach, he's noticed more motivation throughout the team for Pac-12 games so far.
"It just seems like we have a lot more energy and it seems like we're playing for more when we're playing them," Cooper said.
Kinneberg, who played at Arizona and served as an assistant at Arizona and Arizona State in the 1990s knows his team has only just begun its run through the conference gauntlet, but he wouldn't rather be anywhere else.
"It will be an interesting 24 more games," he said with a smile.
Pac-12 home opener
Utah (7-16, 3-3) vs.
UCLA (17-5, 4-2)
Friday, 6 p.m.
Spring Mobile Ballpark
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- NFL watch: How local players fared in week 14...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 98
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 81
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 68
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 50
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 48
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34