It's official, University of Pacific joining West Coast Conference
The University of the Pacific will be joining the West Coast Conference on July 1, 2013, as the league's 10th member, and will begin competing in 2013-14, the conference announced Wednesday.
Pacific was one of the five founding members of the WCC in 1952-53, then left in 1971.
"I am excited to welcome the University of the Pacific back to the West Coast Conference," WCC commissioner Jamie Zaninovich said. "Pacific brings to the West Coast Conference a strong geographical rival with excellent on-campus facilities and a recent history of athletic success in sports that are priorities for the WCC."
The WCC had eight members for 30 years until BYU joined the conference last July.
"We are pleased to welcome back the University of the Pacific as the 10th member of the West Coast Conference," said WCC Presidents Council chair Brother Ronald Gallagher.
Pacific's basketball program had three consecutive NCAA tournament appearances from 2004-06. In 2004, the Tigers knocked off No. 5 seed Providence.
"We feel that Pacific is coming home by joining the WCC, where we have such a rich history," said Pacific athletic director Ted Leland. "We look forward to competing with this amazing set of institutions."
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- The photos from the seats and the sideline...
- BYU moves up one spot in AP poll, heads into...
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- Former BYU tight end Dennis Pitta's season is...
- Utah football notes: Paul makes quite a splash
- BYU supports Virginia kicker whose dad...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 139
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 90
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 76
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to... 70
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 53
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart... 32
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset,... 29