It's official, University of Pacific joining West Coast Conference
The University of the Pacific will be joining the West Coast Conference on July 1, 2013, as the league's 10th member, and will begin competing in 2013-14, the conference announced Wednesday.
Pacific was one of the five founding members of the WCC in 1952-53, then left in 1971.
"I am excited to welcome the University of the Pacific back to the West Coast Conference," WCC commissioner Jamie Zaninovich said. "Pacific brings to the West Coast Conference a strong geographical rival with excellent on-campus facilities and a recent history of athletic success in sports that are priorities for the WCC."
The WCC had eight members for 30 years until BYU joined the conference last July.
"We are pleased to welcome back the University of the Pacific as the 10th member of the West Coast Conference," said WCC Presidents Council chair Brother Ronald Gallagher.
Pacific's basketball program had three consecutive NCAA tournament appearances from 2004-06. In 2004, the Tigers knocked off No. 5 seed Providence.
"We feel that Pacific is coming home by joining the WCC, where we have such a rich history," said Pacific athletic director Ted Leland. "We look forward to competing with this amazing set of institutions."
- Copper Hills lives up to expectations with...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to assist...
- Hood, Hayward help Jazz eclipse Suns for...
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to Pacific,...
- For Star Lotulelei, Super Bowl loss leaves...
- Cougars regrouping, going back on the road...
- Live stream: High school drill team state...
- Oregon overpowers Utes for 76-66 victory
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State,... 100
- Morning links: Grading the BYU, Utah... 83
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to... 61
- 5-star LDS linebacker prospect Mique... 33
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired... 33
- Brad Rock: Recruiting day puts Utes in... 29
- Defense, rebounding, big second half... 22
- Brad Rock: No BYU, but no regrets for... 22