It's official, University of Pacific joining West Coast Conference
The University of the Pacific will be joining the West Coast Conference on July 1, 2013, as the league's 10th member, and will begin competing in 2013-14, the conference announced Wednesday.
Pacific was one of the five founding members of the WCC in 1952-53, then left in 1971.
"I am excited to welcome the University of the Pacific back to the West Coast Conference," WCC commissioner Jamie Zaninovich said. "Pacific brings to the West Coast Conference a strong geographical rival with excellent on-campus facilities and a recent history of athletic success in sports that are priorities for the WCC."
The WCC had eight members for 30 years until BYU joined the conference last July.
"We are pleased to welcome back the University of the Pacific as the 10th member of the West Coast Conference," said WCC Presidents Council chair Brother Ronald Gallagher.
Pacific's basketball program had three consecutive NCAA tournament appearances from 2004-06. In 2004, the Tigers knocked off No. 5 seed Providence.
"We feel that Pacific is coming home by joining the WCC, where we have such a rich history," said Pacific athletic director Ted Leland. "We look forward to competing with this amazing set of institutions."
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- Utah football: Utes to take on a familiar...
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- Utah State infographic: Aggies' Keeton...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 66
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 59
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 29
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28