KINGSTON, R.I. — Tiffany Hayes scored 22 points and top-seed Connecticut beat Kentucky 80-65 on Tuesday night to advance to the Final Four for the fifth straight season.
Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis added 18 for UConn (33-4), which will play the winner of Notre Dame and Maryland on Sunday in Denver. The Huskies matched their own school mark of five straight trips to the national semifinals. LSU and Stanford have also accomplished the feat.
Unlike their previous four trips to the regional finals, which were quick blowouts, the Huskies had to work hard to pull away from the Wildcats.
NOTRE DAME 80, MARYLAND 49: At Raleigh, N.C., Skylar Diggins had a triple-double and Notre Dame claimed its second straight berth in the national semifinals by beating Maryland.
Diggins did it all for the top-seeded Fighting Irish (34-3). The Big East player of the year and AP All-America selection finished with 22 points, 11 assists, 10 rebounds — and five steals.
Natalie Achonwa added 18 points while Kayla McBride had 16 and Natalie Novosel finished with 14. Next up for the Irish: Big East rival Connecticut on Sunday in Denver.
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 80
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 62
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 40
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball,... 34