The Daily Times, Laura Emmons) NO SALES, Associated Press
NEW YORK — Newt Gingrich has laid off a number of staff members in a last ditch effort to take his presidential campaign to the Republican convention.
Senior adviser Randy Evans says several Gingrich staffers have been let go to focus on technological improvements for the campaign.
Evans says the campaign will focus less on field organizing and more on technical enhancements. He calls the decision a matter of cost efficiency for the campaign.
Gingrich has not won a primary since his victory in his home state of Georgia earlier this month. The former House speaker also lost primaries in Alabama and Mississippi and caucuses in Louisiana despite his stated goal of pursuing a Southern strategy that would take him to the GOP nomination.
Campaign layoffs were first reported by Politico.
- Heroes 2014: Ex-CIA officer uses...
- On Christmas, Obama marks end of Afghan combat
- Bad Santa? 5 tips to tackle your holiday gift...
- Photo gallery: Christmas around the world
- How to help find a cure for Ebola from the...
- New Russian military doctrine says NATO top...
- Father of pilot captured by Islamic State...
- Protesters rally for 2nd night after shooting...
- Obama 's Christmas in Hawaii: Carols,... 16
- Going it alone, Obama rocked the boat... 14
- Officer kills armed 18-year-old near... 11
- On Christmas, Obama marks end of Afghan... 10
- Pope in blistering critique of Vatican... 9
- Senate, CIA agree torture program was... 6
- Sony announces limited release for 'The... 5
- Judge seems skeptical of challenge to... 4