1 cup lukewarm milk
1 cup margarine or butter, melted in the warm milk
2 eggs, beaten
¼ cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
4 1/2 cups flour
Green food coloring, optional
Sheets of nori, optional
Egg wash (1 egg yolk beaten with 2 tablespoons milk)
1. Dissolve yeast in warm water. Combine dissolved yeast and remaining ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Beat until smooth, about 1 minute. Dough will be soft. Cover with a damp cloth. Place in refrigerator at least 2 hours or overnight.
2. Roll half the dough into a 16-by-8-inch rectangle. Put a layer of seaweed (the nori, crumbled) down the center third of the rectangle. Cut slits in dough along each side of filling; fold strips at an angle across the filling, alternating sides. Fold the wide end over one layer to form the tail. Repeat with remaining dough.
3. Place the loaves on a greased cookie sheet, cover and let rise in a warm place until double in bulk, about 1 hour.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush top lightly with the egg wash. Sprinkle with sea salt. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with delicious, sweet shellfish.
—Fletch Hoppe, winner, Breads of Panem division
DISTRICT 4 BREAD
Note: Find nori at specialty stores and in the Asian foods aisle at Whole Foods.
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 packet yeast
4 drops of green food coloring
1 cup warm water
1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 medium egg
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3-4 tablespoons nori seaweed, blended to a powder
2 1/3 cups flour (half whole wheat and half white flour)
Egg wash: 1 beaten egg
Sea salt for sprinkling
1. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar, yeast, food coloring and warm water. Add the oil, egg, salt, nori and 1 cup flour. Continue stirring, adding flour as you go, until you form a soft dough. Put the dough onto a floured surface and knead it, adding flour as you go, until the dough is soft and pliable. Place the dough into a greased bowl and let it rise to double the size, about 40 minutes.
2. Punch the dough down and form into fish shapes. Use kitchen shears to cut definition into fish fins, gills and scales. Brush beaten egg over the tops of the fish to add extra shine. Sprinkle with salt, if desired. Let them rise for another 25 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake rolls for 10-12 minutes, or until the bread is a lovely golden brown — or greenish, golden brown.
—Julia Christy and Cristian Martinez, runners-up, Hunger Games recipe contest
GREEN BROTH THAT TASTES LIKE SPRINGTIME
2 stalks celery
2 green onions
- Rupert Murdoch vows Fox News without Ailes is...
- Fox needs to find a successor to man who...
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Trump takes time from victory lap to swat at...
- Warner Bros. calms fans with fun 'Justice...
- A title and ship for new 'Star Trek' series:...
- New artificial reef is sunk off Florida's...
- Trump takes time from victory lap to... 13
- Rupert Murdoch vows Fox News without... 12
- Stephen Colbert is back to take on the... 9
- Police: Munich suspect was obsessed... 3
- Chris Hicks: Movies to watch over the... 3
- Fox needs to find a successor to man... 2
- Why ‘Rogue One’ will be... 1
- Life lessons keep coming from Star Trek... 1