2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 cup red, orange and yellow heirloom cherry tomatoes, chopped
14-ounce can sliced stewed tomatoes
6-ounce can tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 cup red, orange and yellow mini peppers, chopped
1/2 cup beer, such as Kona Brew's Fire Rock (or substitute beef, chicken or mushroom broth or stock)
1/3 cup steak sauce
1 tablespoon hot sauce (the hotter the better)
6 slices wild boar bacon
1/3 pound venison, cubed
1 pound ground beef
1.25-ounce packet hot chili mix
1 teaspoon ground cumin
15-ounce can kidney beans
15-ounce can jalapeno black beans
Handful of cilantro, chopped
Handful of parsley, chopped
Salt, pepper to taste
Sour cream, cheddar cheese to garnish
1. In a large pot over medium heat, use the olive oil to saute the garlic, onion, celery and carrots.
2. Add the fresh and canned tomatoes and tomato paste, pepper flakes, peppers, beer (or broth or stock), steak sauce and hot sauce, and simmer for 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, cook the bacon. Remove bacon to paper towels. Cook the venison in the bacon drippings, stirring constantly as the venison cooks quickly. Remove venison, again leaving juices in the pan, and cook the ground beef in remaining juice. Add chili packet and cumin.
4. Chop the bacon and add it, along with the venison and cooked beef, to the simmering vegetables. Simmer another 20 minutes.
5. Stir in the beans, cilantro and parsley. Heat through and serve with a dollop of sour cream and grated cheddar cheese.
—Carolyn Moore, winner, Greasy Sae's Creations
PRIM'S GOAT CHEESE AND HERB BREAD
Makes: 4 small loaves
1 cup milk
¼ cup plus 2 teaspoons sugar, divided
2 packages active dry yeast
3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
3 large egg yolks (Optional: Save an egg white for bread wash)
2 ounces crumbled goat cheese
1/2 cup pesto, divided
4 tablespoons softened butter
1/2 cup finely chopped combination of fresh herbs, such as basil, rosemary, thyme, chives and parsley
4 sun-dried tomatoes in oil, finely chopped
4 cloves of finely chopped garlic
¼ cup chopped combination of nuts and seeds, such as sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, pistachios, toasted almonds and pine nuts
- 60 things you might not know about your...
- 10 celebrity couples who have made marriage work
- Ron Perlman added to Salt Lake Comic Con...
- 10 things to know before going to Salt Lake...
- 13 ways Disney could use drones at its parks
- Getting ready for Salt Lake Comic Con:...
- Jim Bennett: The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge is...
- 10 books that you were forced to read in...
- Jim Bennett: The ALS Ice Bucket... 7
- Getting ready for Salt Lake Comic Con:... 4
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt wed privately... 3
- Fallon to lead honors as Leno wins top... 2
- Is 'Harry Potter' actually about mental... 2
- EA Sports puts Damian Lillard on the... 2
- Linda & Richard Eyre: How media could... 2
- Miley Cyrus about VMA success: 'I'm in... 1