2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 cup red, orange and yellow heirloom cherry tomatoes, chopped
14-ounce can sliced stewed tomatoes
6-ounce can tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 cup red, orange and yellow mini peppers, chopped
1/2 cup beer, such as Kona Brew's Fire Rock (or substitute beef, chicken or mushroom broth or stock)
1/3 cup steak sauce
1 tablespoon hot sauce (the hotter the better)
6 slices wild boar bacon
1/3 pound venison, cubed
1 pound ground beef
1.25-ounce packet hot chili mix
1 teaspoon ground cumin
15-ounce can kidney beans
15-ounce can jalapeno black beans
Handful of cilantro, chopped
Handful of parsley, chopped
Salt, pepper to taste
Sour cream, cheddar cheese to garnish
1. In a large pot over medium heat, use the olive oil to saute the garlic, onion, celery and carrots.
2. Add the fresh and canned tomatoes and tomato paste, pepper flakes, peppers, beer (or broth or stock), steak sauce and hot sauce, and simmer for 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, cook the bacon. Remove bacon to paper towels. Cook the venison in the bacon drippings, stirring constantly as the venison cooks quickly. Remove venison, again leaving juices in the pan, and cook the ground beef in remaining juice. Add chili packet and cumin.
4. Chop the bacon and add it, along with the venison and cooked beef, to the simmering vegetables. Simmer another 20 minutes.
5. Stir in the beans, cilantro and parsley. Heat through and serve with a dollop of sour cream and grated cheddar cheese.
—Carolyn Moore, winner, Greasy Sae's Creations
PRIM'S GOAT CHEESE AND HERB BREAD
Makes: 4 small loaves
1 cup milk
¼ cup plus 2 teaspoons sugar, divided
2 packages active dry yeast
3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
3 large egg yolks (Optional: Save an egg white for bread wash)
2 ounces crumbled goat cheese
1/2 cup pesto, divided
4 tablespoons softened butter
1/2 cup finely chopped combination of fresh herbs, such as basil, rosemary, thyme, chives and parsley
4 sun-dried tomatoes in oil, finely chopped
4 cloves of finely chopped garlic
¼ cup chopped combination of nuts and seeds, such as sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, pistachios, toasted almonds and pine nuts
- The Killers collaborates with Owen Wilson and...
- Carrie Underwood stars in NBC's 'The Sound of...
- Tips for LDS bloggers from the 'ultimate...
- Saving Africa? New book casts harsh light on...
- Faith sustained author through rejection,...
- 'A Christmas Story' fans encounter BB gun,...
- Pentatonix shares 'magical' a cappella...
- Utahn hits the big time on Broadway
- The Killers collaborates with Owen... 7
- Saving Africa? New book casts harsh... 6
- Alpine woman is a dessert contest,... 5
- Frugal millennials leading way in... 5
- Faith sustained author through... 5
- Tips for LDS bloggers from the... 4
- Speed a factor in crash that killed... 3
- Fatherhood inspired one of Walker's... 2