Fox Searchlight Pictures
Our take: LDS Living recently talked with "Napoleon Dynamite" star Jon Heder about his favorite role, his identical twin and his heros. Read the complete interview on LDSLiving.com.
You've played characters with a wide variety of talents including dancing, ice skating, and street magic. What skill was the most fun to learn for a role?
I'd say ice-skating was definitely the most fun I had preparing for a role. I actually broke my ankle a few weeks into training, but after some rescheduling I was still given enough time to heal and train for a month or so before filming the skating routines. I had skated only a few times growing up, so it was pretty new to me, but I took to it pretty quickly and truly enjoyed it. The only problem is, it's not the easiest pastime sport to keep up and practice at. You need an ice rink, and once you find one you have to share it with all these other strangers who are way better than you and you get a little self-conscious around when you try to get your freestyle-groove on.
What steps do you take while deciding how to portray a character?
Well, I read the script a few times to try and really understand the character first. I talk with the director and/or writer and discuss their vision of the character in terms of the character's life experience, past relationships, attributes, goals, etc. I then take those aspects and mix them with my own attributes and point-of-view, and try to come up with a character whose shoes I understand and can fit into. Its also very physical to me. How the character walks and talks and moves and runsall that stuff is very important to me in creating a character.
Read the complete interview on LDSLiving.com.
- 20 places in Utah where kids eat free, or for...
- Salt Lake Comic Con FanX draws 100,000 attendees
- LDS teacher mourns loss of two former...
- #SavingEliza: Family determined to save...
- Heber Valley Historic Railroad Authority...
- Grieving borrowers told to repay student loan
- 'Modern Family' dad opens beer restaurant in...
- Justin Bieber apologizes for Japan war shrine...
- Affordable Care Act only chips away at... 26
- Grieving borrowers told to repay... 18
- Do moms need a purpose beyond motherhood? 10
- Harry Potter fans: Hogwarts is offering... 8
- Film about man's crusade against child... 7
- How to raise compassionate kids 4
- Teen stowaway shows holes in vast... 3
- LDS teacher mourns loss of two former... 3