Fox Searchlight Pictures
Our take: LDS Living recently talked with "Napoleon Dynamite" star Jon Heder about his favorite role, his identical twin and his heros. Read the complete interview on LDSLiving.com.
You've played characters with a wide variety of talents including dancing, ice skating, and street magic. What skill was the most fun to learn for a role?
I'd say ice-skating was definitely the most fun I had preparing for a role. I actually broke my ankle a few weeks into training, but after some rescheduling I was still given enough time to heal and train for a month or so before filming the skating routines. I had skated only a few times growing up, so it was pretty new to me, but I took to it pretty quickly and truly enjoyed it. The only problem is, it's not the easiest pastime sport to keep up and practice at. You need an ice rink, and once you find one you have to share it with all these other strangers who are way better than you and you get a little self-conscious around when you try to get your freestyle-groove on.
What steps do you take while deciding how to portray a character?
Well, I read the script a few times to try and really understand the character first. I talk with the director and/or writer and discuss their vision of the character in terms of the character's life experience, past relationships, attributes, goals, etc. I then take those aspects and mix them with my own attributes and point-of-view, and try to come up with a character whose shoes I understand and can fit into. Its also very physical to me. How the character walks and talks and moves and runsall that stuff is very important to me in creating a character.
Read the complete interview on LDSLiving.com.
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach the...
- Ask Angela: I'm 24 and I think I'm headed to...
- Pres. Monson teaches Christmas is the time to...
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional tradition
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Mark Twain and Winston...
- Amish school shooter's kin: Horror, then healing
- One year since Sandy Hook: 'Evil did not win'...
- Many Mormon missionaries who return... 97
- Ask Angela: I'm 24 and I think I'm... 51
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional... 27
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach... 22
- Space and religion: How believers view... 19
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Mark Twain and... 12
- Tips for LDS bloggers from the... 8
- One year since Sandy Hook: 'Evil did... 8