College roundup: BYU's Jennifer Hamson earns a spot on USA Volleyball's A2 squad
"We're very excited to have three individuals qualify for regionals," USU head coach Jeff Richards said. "It's great that we're competing at Utah. It's close to home, and we're familiar with the arena and the crowd. I know the girls will be excited to compete in that great environment but know what to expect and what to do to focus on their gymnastics."
Six teams, five all-around competitors (who are not on a qualifying team) and one individual event specialist per event (who has a minimum RQS of 9.4) were named to each of the six predetermined host sites.
Utah State ended team competition on Saturday, hosting the Western Athletic Conference Championships, where the Aggies placed fifth. USU is ranked No. 46 in this week's rankings and only the top 36 teams advance to the NCAA Regionals. This is the fifth year in a row and sixth in last seven that USU did not qualify for regionals as a team, but the Aggies have sent at least three individuals in each of the last five years.
WILLARD NAMED PITCHER OF THE WEEK: BYU's Delaney Willard has been named Western Athletic Conference Hitter of the Week,. This is the second honor of the season for Willard.
Willard, a senior right fielder from Camarillo, Calif., hit .444 with a double, three home runs and seven RBI as the Cougars went 4-0 on the week, including a series sweep of New Mexico State. For the week, she posted a 1.556 slugging percentage and a .615 on-base percentage.
CUTHBERTSON NAME PLAYER OF THE WEEK AGAIN: Southern Utah shortstop Bo Cuthbertson earned his second consecutive Summit League Player of the Week award Monday after posting impressive numbers to help the Thunderbirds to a 3-1 record last week. The reigning Summit League Player of the Year went 4-for-4 with two home runs and a double for five RBIs and three runs scored as SUU was narrowly edged at Kansas. The T-Birds then recorded a three-game sweep of Chicago State as Cuthbertson drove in three more runs and went on to post a .600 (9-for-15) batting average for the week and collect another double on his way to a 1.133 slugging percentage.
3 STRAIGHT PITCHERS OF THE WEEK FOR DIXIE: Dixie State College freshman southpaw Jason Holmes has been selected as the Pacific West Conference Pitcher of the Week for his two quality starts over the past week. He becomes the third consecutive Red Storm pitcher to garner the league honor — following Sam Friend and Mike Dedrick. Holmes posted a 2-0 record with a 1.80 ERA in two starts while striking out eight in 10.0 innings of action. He allowed two earned runs and scattering nine hits. He tossed 5.0 innings in 4-1 win vs. Hawai'i Hilo on March 19 and followed by throwing 5.0 innings in 18-4 win vs. Art U on March 23.
- 20 years ago: Utah Jazz drop heartbreaker to...
- 2 Indian climbers missing on Mount Everest...
- While Djokovic, Williams wait, Wawrinka gets...
- Risks in climbing Everest in focus as 3 die,...
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- LSU's live tiger mascot diagnosed with rare...
- Olympic gold-medal sailor tells of gunpoint...
- A look at Day 2 at French Open
- ESPN's Jake Trotter says it's 'Big 12... 133
- Morning links: Broncos like Devontae... 55
- Brad Rock: This is the Big 12 —of... 39
- Morning links: BYU shirt summits Mt.... 36
- Video: 100 days until college football... 27
- Rivalry renewed: BYU, Utah agree to a... 27
- Utah defensive lineman reportedly... 25
- UCLA agrees to 15-year deal with Under... 18