TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — Alabama coach Nick Saban has parlayed the Crimson Tide's second national championship in three years into a raise and contract extension worth $5.62 million a year.
The university's board of trustees approved a two-year extension for Saban on Monday that will run through Jan. 31, 2020. He'll receive $5.32 million in 2012 with a $50,000 raise next year and $100,000 annually after that.
Under the deal, he'll make $5.97 million in 2019.
Saban will make nearly $45 million over eight years in base salary ($245,000) and what Alabama calls "talent fees."
Saban remains among college football's highest paid coaches, along with Mack Brown of Texas ($5.2 million) and Oklahoma's Bob Stoops ($4.875 million).
He made at least $5.295 million last year in salary, talent fee and bonuses, including $525,000 combined for winning the Southeastern Conference and national titles.
The Tide is 48-6 over the past four seasons. Saban has restored the program to the point that a 10-3 title followup in 2010 was viewed as a big disappointment.
His coaching staff was rewarded, too.
The trustees' compensation committee also approved a $100,000 raise for defensive coordinator Kirby Smart, up to $950,000. New offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier will make $590,000. Both have three-year deals.
New outside linebackers coach Lance Thompson will make $355,000 in a two-year deal.
Other assistant coaches got raises and one-year extensions through Feb. 28, 2014:
Bobby Williams, who coaches tight ends and special teams, received a $35,000 raise, to $350,000.
Strength and conditioning coach Scott Cochran got a raise from $310,000-$325,000.
Defensive line coach Chris Rumph goes from $288,750 to $310,000
Running backs coach Burton Burns got a $10,000 hike, up to $290,000.
Receivers coach Mike Groh's pay went up from $250,000 to $280,000.
Secondary coach Jeremy Pruitt is now making $260,000, up from $225,000.
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk (ahem,...
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State all...
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th in...
- Morning links: BYU letting fans tailgate;...
- Utah Utes football: Ranking the best players...
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor Harding...
- Doug Robinson: Weber State track coach isn't...
- Utah Jazz: 'Hungry' Trey Burke keeping busy...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 91
- Phil Steele gives tempered assessment... 77
- Morning links: Utah is on the rise in... 74
- Cougars say they have learned lessons... 70
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive... 49
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 48
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 41
- BYU looking for another defensive... 33