PULLMAN, Wash. — Washington State's D.J. Shelton blocked a last-second shot by Tray Woodall as the Cougars hung on to beat Pittsburgh 67-66 on Monday in Game 1 of the best-of-three CBI Finals.
Abe Lodwick led Washington State (19-16) with 16 points.
Woodall, who led Pitt (20-17) with 16 points, took an inbound pass with 3.5 seconds left and ran the length of the floor before making an out-of-control layup attempt that Shelton swatted out of bounds. Pitt inbounded again and Lamar Patterson's long jumper missed as time expired.
Washington State played without leading scorer Brock Motum, who hurt his ankle in the semifinal victory over Oregon State last week.
The second game of the series is Wednesday at Pittsburgh. If needed, the third game is Friday in Pittsburgh.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- NFL watch: How local players fared in week 14...
- Mountain View hires former Timpview head...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 98
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 81
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 68
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 50
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 48
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34