PULLMAN, Wash. — Washington State's D.J. Shelton blocked a last-second shot by Tray Woodall as the Cougars hung on to beat Pittsburgh 67-66 on Monday in Game 1 of the best-of-three CBI Finals.
Abe Lodwick led Washington State (19-16) with 16 points.
Woodall, who led Pitt (20-17) with 16 points, took an inbound pass with 3.5 seconds left and ran the length of the floor before making an out-of-control layup attempt that Shelton swatted out of bounds. Pitt inbounded again and Lamar Patterson's long jumper missed as time expired.
Washington State played without leading scorer Brock Motum, who hurt his ankle in the semifinal victory over Oregon State last week.
The second game of the series is Wednesday at Pittsburgh. If needed, the third game is Friday in Pittsburgh.
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars looms...
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- BYU-Memphis an 'intriguing' bowl matchup
- Sunday morning QB: Stars and stats from No....
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- Gordon Hayward happy to be moving on with...
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and often...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 62
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 51
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28
- Brad Rock: This is where conference... 25