TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — Alabama coach Nick Saban has parlayed the Crimson Tide's second national championship in three years into a raise and contract extension worth $5.62 million a year.
The university's board of trustees approved a two-year extension for Saban on Monday that will run through Jan. 31, 2020. He'll receive $5.32 million in 2012 with a $50,000 raise next year and $100,000 annually after that.
Under the deal, he'll make $5.97 million in 2019.
Saban will make nearly $45 million over eight years in base salary ($245,000) and what Alabama calls "talent fees."
Saban remains among college football's highest paid coaches, along with Mack Brown of Texas ($5.2 million) and Oklahoma's Bob Stoops ($4.875 million).
He made at least $5.295 million last year in salary, talent fee and bonuses, including $525,000 combined for winning the Southeastern Conference and national titles.
The Tide is 48-6 over the past four seasons. Saban has restored the program to the point that a 10-3 title followup in 2010 was viewed as a big disappointment.
His coaching staff was rewarded, too.
The trustees' compensation committee also approved a $100,000 raise for defensive coordinator Kirby Smart, up to $950,000. New offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier will make $590,000. Both have three-year deals.
New outside linebackers coach Lance Thompson will make $355,000 in a two-year deal.
Other assistant coaches got raises and one-year extensions through Feb. 28, 2014:
— Bobby Williams, who coaches tight ends and special teams, received a $35,000 raise, to $350,000.
— Strength and conditioning coach Scott Cochran got a raise from $310,000-$325,000.
— Defensive line coach Chris Rumph goes from $288,750 to $310,000
— Running backs coach Burton Burns got a $10,000 hike, up to $290,000.
— Receivers coach Mike Groh's pay went up from $250,000 to $280,000.
— Secondary coach Jeremy Pruitt is now making $260,000, up from $225,000.
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- The 16 most interesting college lists...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit after ACC...
- Report: ACC changes stance, now considers BYU...
- Lone Peak guard, former BYU commit Jackson,...
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start employing...
- Utah secures commitments from two of Utah...
- Morning links: Austin Collie denies report he...
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 65
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 53
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 45
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 41
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 38
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 35
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35