TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — Alabama coach Nick Saban has parlayed the Crimson Tide's second national championship in three years into a raise and contract extension worth $5.62 million a year.
The university's board of trustees approved a two-year extension for Saban on Monday that will run through Jan. 31, 2020. He'll receive $5.32 million in 2012 with a $50,000 raise next year and $100,000 annually after that.
Under the deal, he'll make $5.97 million in 2019.
Saban will make nearly $45 million over eight years in base salary ($245,000) and what Alabama calls "talent fees."
Saban remains among college football's highest paid coaches, along with Mack Brown of Texas ($5.2 million) and Oklahoma's Bob Stoops ($4.875 million).
He made at least $5.295 million last year in salary, talent fee and bonuses, including $525,000 combined for winning the Southeastern Conference and national titles.
The Tide is 48-6 over the past four seasons. Saban has restored the program to the point that a 10-3 title followup in 2010 was viewed as a big disappointment.
His coaching staff was rewarded, too.
The trustees' compensation committee also approved a $100,000 raise for defensive coordinator Kirby Smart, up to $950,000. New offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier will make $590,000. Both have three-year deals.
New outside linebackers coach Lance Thompson will make $355,000 in a two-year deal.
Other assistant coaches got raises and one-year extensions through Feb. 28, 2014:
— Bobby Williams, who coaches tight ends and special teams, received a $35,000 raise, to $350,000.
— Strength and conditioning coach Scott Cochran got a raise from $310,000-$325,000.
— Defensive line coach Chris Rumph goes from $288,750 to $310,000
— Running backs coach Burton Burns got a $10,000 hike, up to $290,000.
— Receivers coach Mike Groh's pay went up from $250,000 to $280,000.
— Secondary coach Jeremy Pruitt is now making $260,000, up from $225,000.
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by media...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 commissioner frank about...
- From autonomy to Harvey Langi: Tidbits from...
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not on...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to Cleveland...
- Utah's Fiesta Bowl championship team: Where...
- The original BCS busters: Looking back at...
- Utah football: Pac-12 Football Media Day Central
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 225
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by... 95
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 78
- The original BCS busters: Looking back... 53
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not... 44
- ACC media days has some interesting... 43
- Utah's better BCS buster, 2004 or 2008? 29
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to... 26