TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — Alabama coach Nick Saban has parlayed the Crimson Tide's second national championship in three years into a raise and contract extension worth $5.62 million a year.
The university's board of trustees approved a two-year extension for Saban on Monday that will run through Jan. 31, 2020. He'll receive $5.32 million in 2012 with a $50,000 raise next year and $100,000 annually after that.
Under the deal, he'll make $5.97 million in 2019.
Saban will make nearly $45 million over eight years in base salary ($245,000) and what Alabama calls "talent fees."
Saban remains among college football's highest paid coaches, along with Mack Brown of Texas ($5.2 million) and Oklahoma's Bob Stoops ($4.875 million).
He made at least $5.295 million last year in salary, talent fee and bonuses, including $525,000 combined for winning the Southeastern Conference and national titles.
The Tide is 48-6 over the past four seasons. Saban has restored the program to the point that a 10-3 title followup in 2010 was viewed as a big disappointment.
His coaching staff was rewarded, too.
The trustees' compensation committee also approved a $100,000 raise for defensive coordinator Kirby Smart, up to $950,000. New offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier will make $590,000. Both have three-year deals.
New outside linebackers coach Lance Thompson will make $355,000 in a two-year deal.
Other assistant coaches got raises and one-year extensions through Feb. 28, 2014:
— Bobby Williams, who coaches tight ends and special teams, received a $35,000 raise, to $350,000.
— Strength and conditioning coach Scott Cochran got a raise from $310,000-$325,000.
— Defensive line coach Chris Rumph goes from $288,750 to $310,000
— Running backs coach Burton Burns got a $10,000 hike, up to $290,000.
— Receivers coach Mike Groh's pay went up from $250,000 to $280,000.
— Secondary coach Jeremy Pruitt is now making $260,000, up from $225,000.
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- 5 things to watch for as BYU, Utah and USU...
- Randy Hollis: Utah's Perrins is one of the...
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- High school football: Hunter Wolverines 2015...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 111
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 54
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 44
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 27
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 21
- Morning links: Devontae Booker to be... 20