Another blogger, Clark Siler of Pflugerville, Texas, wrote about how President Eyring's priesthood meeting insight and counsel applied to his own important priesthood calling as a father.
After showing his son, David, how to cut, sand and shape his wooden racing car for the Cub Scout pack's upcoming Pinewood Derby, he watched the next day when the rest of the Cub Scout den came for some help in cutting and shaping their own Pinewood Derby cars.
"Since my son's car was already shaped, I asked him if he wanted to help the other boys understand what we would be doing," wrote Siler, a Ph.D. candidate at the University of Texas. "With a smile on his face and a spring in his step, he explained it all: how to use design plans to draw what they wanted their cars to look like, that I would cut their design out of the block, and how they would use sandpaper to smooth out any rough spots or hard edges."
In just one day, Siler said he saw "the turnaround of my instruction to him being translated through preparation into action."
It was just as President Eyring promised. After sharing several stories about how great leaders had trained him through the power of their example, he promised at the conclusion of his priesthood meeting sermon "that those whom you train and set an example for will praise your name as I have this day to the great trainers I have known."
"I'm not claiming to be a great trainer," Siler wrote, "but I do feel a renewed responsibility to be a good example as I help train my children for future service — because they might turn around and help someone tomorrow!"
- My Plan: A new tool to help LDS missionaries...
- Without the overdose of obscenity, 'The Book...
- LDS Church leaders share personal photos and...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Russians' views on religion are changing, and...
- Modest swimwear makes a splash in women's retail
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face uncertain future
- Duce's Wild: Working miracles regardless of...
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 144
- Religious groups react to Boy... 79
- Modest swimwear makes a splash in... 48
- Another Book of Mormon musical opens in... 31
- America welcomes Christians, Jews;... 30
- Without the overdose of obscenity, 'The... 23
- Defending the Faith: FairMormon... 15
- Duce's Wild: Working miracles... 12