LOS ANGELES — Late-night host Jimmy Kimmel just got a prime-time gig: Host of the 64th Primetime Emmy Awards.
The star and executive producer of "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" will host the Emmy Awards ceremony on Sept. 23 at the Nokia Theatre in Los Angeles.
"I hope to be able to do for the Emmys this year what Eddie Murphy did for the Oscars," Kimmel joked, referring to the comic actor who pulled out as host of this year's Academy Awards. This is Kimmel's first time hosting the Emmys.
Kimmel's namesake show is in its 10th season on ABC. He previously hosted the American Music Awards and the ESPY Awards and is set to host the White House Correspondents' dinner next month.
ABC also announced that director and producer Don Mischer will executive produce the Emmy telecast. Mischer recently directed and produced the Academy Awards. This is his 12th time at the helm of the Emmys.
He said he's "thrilled" to produce the Emmys again.
"We love television and look forward to working with the television academy and ABC in creating a show that is fast-paced, humorous, unpredictable, and at times irreverent, but clearly celebratory of our incredible industry," Mischer said in a statement Monday.
The Emmy Awards, put on by the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences, honor the best in TV.
AP Entertainment Writer Sandy Cohen is on Twitter: www.twitter.com/APSandy .
- The LDS Church's call for balance between gay...
- Video: Islamic State group beheads Japanese...
- Cumberbatch, Fry, others urge UK to pardon...
- List: 10 Super Bowl ads you'll be talking about
- Former GOP nominee Romney will not run for...
- Top Catholics and evangelicals: Gay marriage...
- Obama budget sets up battle with...
- Prospective juror has sympathy for Tsarnaev,...
- Former GOP nominee Romney will not run... 79
- Top Catholics and evangelicals: Gay... 60
- Mitt Romney courts middle class, jabs... 40
- The LDS Church's call for balance... 35
- Attorney General nominee picks up... 14
- House GOP moves toward possible lawsuit... 11
- Prosecutors promise thorough probe of... 11
- Keystone XL pipeline wins Senate vote... 10