Scott G. Winterton, Deseret News
My caucus had a 76 percent increase in turn out compared to 2010. Party rules allowed each delegate nominee to disclose platform planks, employment, personal views and support for individual candidates, etc.
Because of the larger than usual turn-out accompanied by a large number of nominations, nominees were limited to 1 minute to speak. This was hardly enough time to know a nominee's principles, ideals and values which would guide their decisions as they studied the candidates and issues in preparation for the state nominating Convention.
Instead, it appeared that the only item of interest was which candidate(s) the nominee would be supporting. This approach appears to obviate the whole process of delegates being chosen to investigate candidates during the campaign period leading up to convention and then casting ballots at convention based on their investigations.
The caucus approach is supported as being superior to a party primary on the basis that candidates for office are more accountable to the people. However, if delegate votes are tallied on caucus night and not at convention, then I'm not sure electing delegates prior to convention accomplishes anything.
It would appear that a candidate's fate is determined on caucus night and not at convention.
Gerald (Jerry) Nebeker
Other letters about Utah caucuses
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Our thoughts...
- 18 of the most heart warming and feel-good...
- Why LDS Church's anti-discrimination stance...
- What one word best describes Barack Obama?
- What The New York Times gets wrong about...
- In our opinion: Fairness for all: Religion...
- Letter: Slap to our history
- Drew Clark: The beams and motes of getting...
- What The New York Times gets wrong... 90
- In our opinion: Fix, don't repeal,... 74
- Michael and Jenet Erickson: Utah... 50
- In our opinion: Fairness for all:... 44
- Mike Lee: Tax reform shouldn't penalize... 38
- Why LDS Church's anti-discrimination... 38
- Jay Evensen: Will Obama visit Utah? Do... 37
- In our opinion: It's time for Utah to... 27