VanDerveer looks at Monday's game "as more of a traditional matchup for us as opposed to some of the games we've played." Four Blue Devils starters are scoring in double figures, while Selby is doing the little things with 6.7 points, 3.0 rebounds. 2.6 assists and 1.7 steals. Her 18 points against St. John's were a career high, and she also had seven assists, five rebounds and four steals.
The supporting cast is sure bringing it, too. Gray has scored in double digits in eight straight games, while fellow sophomore Tricia Liston has totaled 60 points in Duke's first three NCAA wins.
"It's impressive," Chiney Ogwumike said. "You look at their roster and see so many freshmen and sophomores dominating. It's cool. That's my class."
Still, the Blue Devils know none of what they've already done this month will matter if they can't slow down the Ogwumike sisters.
Chiney Ogwumike is nursing a sprained right knee and took two scary falls during the regional semifinals, while standout Duke freshman Elizabeth Williams is playing with a stress fracture in her lower right leg.
The bulky brace on Chiney Ogwumike's knee could be a hazard in itself, she warns.
"It's tough to hit a knee that will hit you back," she joked of an opponent trying to attack her perceived weakness.
Without sharing too many secrets, she found her fair share of success against big sister growing up by "sagging off of her and taking away her vision."
"I'd back off because she has a quick first step, and I'd have a hand up," Chiney Ogwumike said of Nneka, the likely No. 1 pick in the WNBA draft once this season ends.
"I don't want our journey to end so soon," the elder Ogwumike said.
- Video: Improbable final play lifts Maple...
- Royals Pitcher Jeremy Guthrie expresses...
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the...
- Kansas City Royals turn to former BYU pitcher...
- Live streams: 2A & 3A volleyball tournament...
- Curtain raiser: Quin Snyder Era begins in...
- Poppinga has endured dark times before, hopes...
- Keeping it rolling: Utes top Trojans in... 87
- BYU needs win at Middle Tennessee to... 77
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense needs Bronco... 58
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 57
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- High school football: State tournament... 42
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 41
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 35