Pablo Martinez Monsivais, Associated Press
SEOUL, South Korea — This is South Korea, right? The democracy with a free press and a close alliance with the United States?
When President Barack Obama arrived at the presidential palace in Seoul Sunday, he was missing his constant traveling companions: members of the U.S. press corps traveling in Obama's motorcade.
In an embarrassing bilateral blockade, members of the media were denied entrance to the Blue House. The messy scene resulted in their missing Obama's meeting with South Korean President Lee Myung-bak.
At first, the media were held inside an entrance to the building as security scrambled to lock the doors around them. When that didn't work, they walked up a street and were met by security guards brandishing batons.
No reason for the mix-up was ever provided.
The press eventually got in, and good thing — hard to have a press conference with some reporters around.
Obama and U.S. troops stationed in South Korea exchanged touches of home during the president's visit to Camp Bonifas, just outside the Demilitarized Zone at the border between North and South Korea.
Obama thanked the soldiers for presenting him with a "spiffy" black jacket to mark the occasion. "Whoever arranged to make sure that it fit — I'm sure it wasn't the General — I appreciate it," Obama said to laughter.
In exchange, the basketball-obsessed president played the role of sportscaster, giving the soldiers an update on the unfolding NCAA basketball tournament.
"For those of you guys who missed the ball games — Florida got beat by Louisville, and Ohio State just beat Syracuse," Obama said. "So I don't know how your brackets are doing."
- Pope prays at Armenia memorial after...
- Obama OKs federal aid for West Virginia; at...
- At least 14 killed in Somalia hotel attack;...
- In need of help, Trump finds few willing to...
- Behind the support for Brexit and Trump:...
- Officials: California wildfire destroys 200...
- Pope visits Armenia's closed border with...
- Trump camp scrambles to shape up before GOP...
- House Republicans' report faults Obama... 52
- In need of help, Trump finds few... 40
- The pro-life plan that could reverse... 37
- Did Trump really just become a... 37
- Big ruling for abortion rights in... 36
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 35
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Final Benghazi report: No 'smoking gun'... 25