Pablo Martinez Monsivais, Associated Press
SEOUL, South Korea — This is South Korea, right? The democracy with a free press and a close alliance with the United States?
When President Barack Obama arrived at the presidential palace in Seoul Sunday, he was missing his constant traveling companions: members of the U.S. press corps traveling in Obama's motorcade.
In an embarrassing bilateral blockade, members of the media were denied entrance to the Blue House. The messy scene resulted in their missing Obama's meeting with South Korean President Lee Myung-bak.
At first, the media were held inside an entrance to the building as security scrambled to lock the doors around them. When that didn't work, they walked up a street and were met by security guards brandishing batons.
No reason for the mix-up was ever provided.
The press eventually got in, and good thing — hard to have a press conference with some reporters around.
Obama and U.S. troops stationed in South Korea exchanged touches of home during the president's visit to Camp Bonifas, just outside the Demilitarized Zone at the border between North and South Korea.
Obama thanked the soldiers for presenting him with a "spiffy" black jacket to mark the occasion. "Whoever arranged to make sure that it fit — I'm sure it wasn't the General — I appreciate it," Obama said to laughter.
In exchange, the basketball-obsessed president played the role of sportscaster, giving the soldiers an update on the unfolding NCAA basketball tournament.
"For those of you guys who missed the ball games — Florida got beat by Louisville, and Ohio State just beat Syracuse," Obama said. "So I don't know how your brackets are doing."
- Live at the GOP convention: Donald Trump...
- Cruz: Not supporting candidate who wages...
- Rupert Murdoch vows Fox News without Ailes is...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Kaine emerges as a favorite in Clinton's VP...
- Hundreds of demonstrators gather on...
- Fox needs to find a successor to man who...
- Brazil nabs 10 IS backers in Olympics...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Obama rejects Trump depiction of US in... 41
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 32
- Police give all-clear in Munich... 31
- Dems' division, emails roil party on... 28
- In wake of email hack, Democratic chair... 23
- Daughter Ivanka Trump raises issues... 21
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of... 20