President Monson offers tips to help young women navigate life's storms
"Rarely will you be able to spend as much time dedicated to learning as you can now," said Sister Cook. "I assure you that as a virtuous daughter of God, your future is bright. … God gave you moral agency and the opportunity to learn while on Earth, and he has a work for you to do. To accomplish this work, you have an individual responsibility to seek learning. ... Surround yourself with exemplary women who can teach you skills in homemaking, art, music, family history, sports, writing or speaking. Get to know them and ask them to mentor you."
Sister Ann M. Dibb, second counselor in the Young Women general presidency, said the youth of the church can arise and shine forth as they confidently obey the commandments of God. She focused on the 2012 Mutual theme — "Arise and shine forth" — found in the Doctrine and Covenants and asked the congregation what they think of when they hear the word arise.
"I think of you — the noble youth of the church," she said. "I picture you diligently arising from your beds each morning for early morning seminary. I see you faithfully arising from your knees after finishing your daily prayers. I think of you courageously arising to share your testimony and defend your standards. I am inspired by your commitment to the gospel and your good examples."
"If you are struggling with keeping these standards and commandments, I encourage you to look for support within the gospel. Read your scriptures. ... Talk to your parents, your church leaders, and those who shine brightly as they live the gospel. Pray. Pour out your heart to your Heavenly Father who loves you. Use the gift of repentance daily. Serve others. ... Listen to and obey the promptings of the Holy Ghost."
- President Uchtdorf visits Provo City Center...
- Wedding industry illustrates unresolved legal...
- Well-prepared Scouts rescue couple off Mount...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- 100 inspirational quotes from Mormon leaders
- UVU men's soccer makes its program debut with...
- Elder David E. Sorensen, former executive...
- Comic: Overcome with the spirit
- Wedding industry illustrates unresolved... 49
- BYU coach, players answer questions at... 17
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Common... 12
- 'True compassion': Members of the LDS... 7
- Elder David E. Sorensen, former... 6
- What does heaven look like? Here are 10... 6
- Watch: Mormon missionaries save baby ducks 3
- Hindu festival celebrates birth of Lord... 2