President Monson offers tips to help young women navigate life's storms
"Rarely will you be able to spend as much time dedicated to learning as you can now," said Sister Cook. "I assure you that as a virtuous daughter of God, your future is bright. … God gave you moral agency and the opportunity to learn while on Earth, and he has a work for you to do. To accomplish this work, you have an individual responsibility to seek learning. ... Surround yourself with exemplary women who can teach you skills in homemaking, art, music, family history, sports, writing or speaking. Get to know them and ask them to mentor you."
Sister Ann M. Dibb, second counselor in the Young Women general presidency, said the youth of the church can arise and shine forth as they confidently obey the commandments of God. She focused on the 2012 Mutual theme — "Arise and shine forth" — found in the Doctrine and Covenants and asked the congregation what they think of when they hear the word arise.
"I think of you — the noble youth of the church," she said. "I picture you diligently arising from your beds each morning for early morning seminary. I see you faithfully arising from your knees after finishing your daily prayers. I think of you courageously arising to share your testimony and defend your standards. I am inspired by your commitment to the gospel and your good examples."
"If you are struggling with keeping these standards and commandments, I encourage you to look for support within the gospel. Read your scriptures. ... Talk to your parents, your church leaders, and those who shine brightly as they live the gospel. Pray. Pour out your heart to your Heavenly Father who loves you. Use the gift of repentance daily. Serve others. ... Listen to and obey the promptings of the Holy Ghost."
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- State bills to protect religious freedom...
- Lexi Hansen forgives driver who hit her (+video)
- Defending the Faith: Joseph, the stone and...
- LDS Church releases Easter video, campaign
- Returning LDS missionary, father battling...
- 'A marvellous work and a wonder': A look back...
- Why I don’t call myself a ‘Mormon...
- Defending the Faith: Joseph, the stone... 157
- Why I don’t call myself a... 92
- 'A marvellous work and a wonder': A... 62
- Heaven can wait, Christian bookstore... 17
- Millennials are the ‘don’t... 15
- Meet the Muslim actor playing Jesus in... 10
- Returning LDS missionary, father... 8
- State bills to protect religious... 7