Randy Hollis: Wildcats' great player Damian Lillard, great season still fell short of goal
But "The Show" decided to come back for his senior season, and when the Wildcats fell far short of expectations, Arceneaux fell off the NBA's radar. While his WSU teammate, point guard Eddie Gill, wound up getting an opportunity to play sporadically in the NBA, seeing action with six different teams over the years, Arceneaux has toiled in relative obscurity in various American minor leagues — including the Utah Snowbears of the American Basketball Association and the Utah Eagles of the Continental Basketball Association — and for several pro teams in foreign countries such as Australia, France, Portugal, the Philippines, Venezuela and Mexico.
Arceneaux has become the cautionary tale of someone who seemingly does the right thing — staying in school — only to see it wind up biting them in the backside.
Here's hoping Lillard won't suffer the same frustrating fate and will instead get his glorious opportunity to flourish in the NBA — where a team like the Utah Jazz could certainly use a young player with his incredible all-around talents.
The Great Dame
Weber State junior guard Damian Lillard's list of season and career accomplishments, and where he ranks in the school and Big Sky record books:
Category WSU Big Sky
Career points scored (1,934) 2nd 5th
Season scoring average (24.5) 1st 7th
Single-season points scored (784) 1st 3rd
Single-game points scored (41) 2nd -----
Season free throw percentage (88.7) 3rd 14th
Season free throws made (228) 1st 1st
Season 3-pointers made (94) 1st 6th
Career 3-pointers made (246) 1st 5th
Career free throws made (520 1st -----
Career assists (362) 2nd 22nd
Career free throw percentage (86.7) 1st 6th
Honors: NABC third team All-American; two-time Big Sky Conference MVP; District VIII Player of the Year; Lute Olson All-America team; Lou Henson Mid-Major All-America team; finalist for the annual John Wooden, Oscar Robertson and Bob Cousy awards; Big Sky Player of the Week (5 times this year); National Player of the Week in January. Heady goes here
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new walk-on...
- BYU coaches happy about development of...
- Tyler Haws' NBA dream path takes a detour to...
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU...
- Red and blue recruits: A first look at...
- The Utah football 100: Ranking the best...
- Morning links: Can Cougars snap Cornhuskers'...
- Felt's Facts: Week 2 schedule filled with...
- AP preseason top 25 poll: Utah, BYU... 59
- Morning links: Cougars examined by USA... 56
- Rock On: Sarkisian runs afoul of BYU... 38
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 37
- BYU football: Lone Peak's Jackson... 30
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new... 26
- Morning links: Utes are the Pac-12's 'X... 25
- Utah Jazz: Withey, 7-footer with two... 22