Sebastian Velasquez was not as sharp as he looked in the first two games. His passing was less precise and his positioning seemed thrown off by Chivas 4-5-1 formation which he never quite adjusted to during most of the first half. But his dust up with Oswaldo Minda in the 44th minute seemed to breath new life into him. It might have been fun to see how he would have come out in the second minute had he not been subbed out for Javier Morales.
Paulo Jr was hot and cold Saturday. At times he seemed wound up ready to do something exciting and others his youth came shining through - like the boneheaded offside he earned in the 14th minute by sprinting from ten yards offside back into the field of play to take a pass. He was subbed out at halftime for Alvaro Saborio.
Fabian Espindola was just as pesky as he normally is Saturday, but sometimes the Soccer gods are less accommodating and it seemed any tiny bugaboo that could hamper him did the whole game. He had some great scoring opportunities, including a terrific blast in the 21st minute and a couple of diagonal runs that turned into dangerous crosses across the box, but Saturday was just not his night.
Javier Morales made his way onto the field at the half in place of Sebastian Velasquez. Aside from two very dangerous set pieces (a corner and a cross) that both put RSL players in scoring positions, his play was a little tentative, showing less defensive energy than we've seen from Javi in the past.
Alvaro Saborio made exactly the impact Jason Kreis was hoping for when he was subbed in for a floundering Paulo Jr at halftime. He nearly found the net twice and sailed another over the bar on a turnaround volley in the 85th minute. Chivas' pressure in the midfield was just too much for Javier Morales and the rest of the middies hoping to give Alvaro a cleaner shot on goal.
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Utah Jazz give key starters a break in 98-91...
- Utes continue Pac-12 'meat grinder' with...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but flutters...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 48
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 45
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense could use... 24