Ben Margot, file, Associated Press
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — A person familiar with the negotiations says the Denver Broncos have signed former Chicago Bears backup quarterback Caleb Hanie to a two-year deal to back up Peyton Manning.
The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the deal hadn't been announced by the team. ESPNChicago.com first reported the deal earlier Saturday.
Hanie, 26, who played at Colorado State, spent the last three seasons in Chicago. He replaced an injured Jay Cutler in the NFC championship two years ago and nearly rallied the Bears past the Packers. But he went 0-4 in place of Cutler last season, including at loss at Denver.
The Broncos signed Manning on Monday and then dealt Tim Tebow to the New York Jets. They also considered signing free agent Billy Volek.
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's volleyball...
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner chasing...
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting niche
- Morning links: NBA post-up is not dead;...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule...
- High school All-Sports awards: Davis, Maple...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback Austin...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 47
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 45
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 33
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders... 31
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 24
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 17
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 11
- Live streams: 5A & 4A state baseball... 7