Ben Margot, file, Associated Press
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — A person familiar with the negotiations says the Denver Broncos have signed former Chicago Bears backup quarterback Caleb Hanie to a two-year deal to back up Peyton Manning.
The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the deal hadn't been announced by the team. ESPNChicago.com first reported the deal earlier Saturday.
Hanie, 26, who played at Colorado State, spent the last three seasons in Chicago. He replaced an injured Jay Cutler in the NFC championship two years ago and nearly rallied the Bears past the Packers. But he went 0-4 in place of Cutler last season, including at loss at Denver.
The Broncos signed Manning on Monday and then dealt Tim Tebow to the New York Jets. They also considered signing free agent Billy Volek.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 105
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 95
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 78
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 60
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 49
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 43
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43