WEST VALLEY CITY — The Colorado Eagles defeated the Utah Grizzlies 3-2 in a shootout Friday night at Maverik Center in front of 6,309 fans.
"We probably played a good 12-15 minutes in the first period, but as a group, we stopped doing what we needed to win," said Assistant Coach Leigh Mendelson. "We need to step up and end the game when we have a chance," said the Grizzlies Assistant Coach after several close calls early with the 2-0 lead and then late in the game and overtime."
Utah started strong, killing five-straight minutes shorthanded early in the first period on a Colorado major power-play. They then scored nine seconds after the penalty ended as Colin Vock raced up ice and centered Evan Stephens for his fifth goal of the year. The Grizzlies made it 2-0 just 2:31 later as Mitch Wahl and Kory Falite got the puck to Vock on the power-play and he fired a shot home from the slot.
Colorado scored late in the first and on a power-play 12:16 into the second period to tie the game at 2.
The Grizzlies penalty-kill kept the game tied at 2 as they killed the first 1:29 of the third shorthanded as well as the final 1:55 of regulation.
Utah outshot Colorado 6-1 in the overtime and fired six-straight shots, but was never able to get the game-winner.
Andrew Engelage stopped 31 of 33 shots through overtime and four of five in the shootout as Utah collected a standings point for their efforts.
The Grizzlies host Colorado on Saturday for the final home game of the regular season.
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon State
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl game brawl
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head coach...
- BYU's Tyler Haws' recovery from an ankle...
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- Brady Poppinga: Confronting an unlikely opponent
- Jordan's Austin Kafentzis will keep his...
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 170
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 108
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 55
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 51
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head... 45
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 43