WEST VALLEY CITY — The Colorado Eagles defeated the Utah Grizzlies 3-2 in a shootout Friday night at Maverik Center in front of 6,309 fans.
"We probably played a good 12-15 minutes in the first period, but as a group, we stopped doing what we needed to win," said Assistant Coach Leigh Mendelson. "We need to step up and end the game when we have a chance," said the Grizzlies Assistant Coach after several close calls early with the 2-0 lead and then late in the game and overtime."
Utah started strong, killing five-straight minutes shorthanded early in the first period on a Colorado major power-play. They then scored nine seconds after the penalty ended as Colin Vock raced up ice and centered Evan Stephens for his fifth goal of the year. The Grizzlies made it 2-0 just 2:31 later as Mitch Wahl and Kory Falite got the puck to Vock on the power-play and he fired a shot home from the slot.
Colorado scored late in the first and on a power-play 12:16 into the second period to tie the game at 2.
The Grizzlies penalty-kill kept the game tied at 2 as they killed the first 1:29 of the third shorthanded as well as the final 1:55 of regulation.
Utah outshot Colorado 6-1 in the overtime and fired six-straight shots, but was never able to get the game-winner.
Andrew Engelage stopped 31 of 33 shots through overtime and four of five in the shootout as Utah collected a standings point for their efforts.
The Grizzlies host Colorado on Saturday for the final home game of the regular season.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 90
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 75
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 49
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 46
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34