WEST VALLEY CITY — The Colorado Eagles defeated the Utah Grizzlies 3-2 in a shootout Friday night at Maverik Center in front of 6,309 fans.
"We probably played a good 12-15 minutes in the first period, but as a group, we stopped doing what we needed to win," said Assistant Coach Leigh Mendelson. "We need to step up and end the game when we have a chance," said the Grizzlies Assistant Coach after several close calls early with the 2-0 lead and then late in the game and overtime."
Utah started strong, killing five-straight minutes shorthanded early in the first period on a Colorado major power-play. They then scored nine seconds after the penalty ended as Colin Vock raced up ice and centered Evan Stephens for his fifth goal of the year. The Grizzlies made it 2-0 just 2:31 later as Mitch Wahl and Kory Falite got the puck to Vock on the power-play and he fired a shot home from the slot.
Colorado scored late in the first and on a power-play 12:16 into the second period to tie the game at 2.
The Grizzlies penalty-kill kept the game tied at 2 as they killed the first 1:29 of the third shorthanded as well as the final 1:55 of regulation.
Utah outshot Colorado 6-1 in the overtime and fired six-straight shots, but was never able to get the game-winner.
Andrew Engelage stopped 31 of 33 shots through overtime and four of five in the shootout as Utah collected a standings point for their efforts.
The Grizzlies host Colorado on Saturday for the final home game of the regular season.
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders weigh in...
- Live streams: 5A & 4A state baseball tournament
- Morning links: SI features Frank Jackson;...
- Doug Robinson: BYU football may be better...
- Point guard was weak spot in '14-'15, but...
- Utah Jazz: Ranking the best No. 12 picks in...
- BYU baseball team confident entering West...
- The Clean Cut: NBA star's 2-year-old daughter...
- Doug Robinson: BYU football may be... 112
- Mike Sorensen: Utah, BYU not getting a... 86
- Guest commentary: Want national... 65
- Utah Utes coaches tailor weekly... 54
- BYU's Taysom Hill, Utah's Devontae... 41
- Morning links: BYU has a shot to snap... 37
- Ranking the best quarterbacks in... 18
- Dick Harmon: Who's going to follow... 16