MINNEAPOLIS — The NCAA has granted injured Minnesota forward Trevor Mbakwe (ihm-BOCK-way) a sixth season of eligibility.
The Golden Gophers announced the decision on Friday. It's not known if Mbakwe will accept the season or turn pro.
The 6-foot-8 power forward missed almost the entire season with a torn ACL in his right knee. He was the Gophers leading scorer and rebounder when he went down in the seventh game, a loss to Dayton at a tournament in Florida in November.
Mbakwe has not decided if he will accept the sixth season. In a post on his Twitter account, he thanks everyone for their support and says he's "really happy about the NCAA decision to give me the option of having another year."
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon State
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl game brawl
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head coach...
- Brady Poppinga: Confronting an unlikely opponent
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- BYU's Tyler Haws' recovery from an ankle...
- Jazz rookie Dante Exum looks like a kid but...
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 170
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 108
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 55
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 51
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head... 45
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 43