MINNEAPOLIS — The NCAA has granted injured Minnesota forward Trevor Mbakwe (ihm-BOCK-way) a sixth season of eligibility.
The Golden Gophers announced the decision on Friday. It's not known if Mbakwe will accept the season or turn pro.
The 6-foot-8 power forward missed almost the entire season with a torn ACL in his right knee. He was the Gophers leading scorer and rebounder when he went down in the seventh game, a loss to Dayton at a tournament in Florida in November.
Mbakwe has not decided if he will accept the sixth season. In a post on his Twitter account, he thanks everyone for their support and says he's "really happy about the NCAA decision to give me the option of having another year."
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 105
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 95
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 78
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 59
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 49
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 42