ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — A second suspect has been fatally shot by Albuquerque police in three days, sparking renewed calls by activists for a federal probe.
Authorities say an Albuquerque officer shot and killed a man Wednesday near Laguna Pueblo after a chase that began when the motorist shot at two women in Albuquerque.
On Monday, another Albuquerque officer fatally shot a 31-year-old man after he rammed his car into the police officer's vehicle.
Jewel Hall, president of the Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial Center Board, said the two shootings show that federal authorities still need to investigate the department.
There have been three Albuquerque officer-involved shootings in 2012. In the two years prior, the department had 20 officer-involved shootings and instituted a number of changes including new independent reviews of all officer-involved shootings.
- The 20 most innovative tech hubs in America...
- 17 years later, parents find kidnapped...
- Can you name your U.S. Representative? See...
- Couple married 67 years dies holding hands
- 34 of the best Lemony Snicket quotes
- Debates rage over color of dress photographed...
- Congress OKs 1-week bill to keep Homeland...
- What you can learn from this teacher who...
- Defying GOP, Obama vetoes Keystone XL... 51
- FCC approves 'net neutrality' rules for... 26
- Congress OKs 1-week bill to keep... 23
- Clinton says she would push... 16
- Democrats caught between Obama,... 16
- Calling for cooperation, Obama engages... 15
- 'Jihadi John' seen in beheading videos... 13
- Leonard Nimoy, famous as Mr. Spock on... 13