ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — A second suspect has been fatally shot by Albuquerque police in three days, sparking renewed calls by activists for a federal probe.
Authorities say an Albuquerque officer shot and killed a man Wednesday near Laguna Pueblo after a chase that began when the motorist shot at two women in Albuquerque.
On Monday, another Albuquerque officer fatally shot a 31-year-old man after he rammed his car into the police officer's vehicle.
Jewel Hall, president of the Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial Center Board, said the two shootings show that federal authorities still need to investigate the department.
There have been three Albuquerque officer-involved shootings in 2012. In the two years prior, the department had 20 officer-involved shootings and instituted a number of changes including new independent reviews of all officer-involved shootings.
- 2 cops in New York City ambushed, fatally...
- Police boss: NYC cops 'quite simply,...
- The Associated Press' top 10 movies of the year
- NYPD: Cop ambush killer told passers-by to watch
- Christmas 1914: The day even WWI showed humanity
- What people never mention when they talk...
- 9 films advance in Oscars shortlist for best...
- 'Hobbit' goes out on top with $90.6 million...
- Obama: US re-establishing diplomatic... 49
- Vermont governor abandons single-payer... 32
- A post-election flurry: Obama tests his... 16
- Police boss: NYC cops 'quite simply,... 16
- Forget Santa Claus, Virginia. Was there... 16
- Sony cancels 'The Interview' Dec. 25... 15
- NYC premiere of Rogen film 'The... 8
- Utah mourners for Pakistani children... 8