Ben Margot, Associated Press
SAN FRANCISCO — San Francisco's mayor has charged Sheriff Ross Mirkarimi with official misconduct stemming from his guilty plea in a domestic violence case involving his Venezuelan actress wife.
Mayor Ed Lee filed the charge Wednesday afternoon, a day after he announced that he would place Mirkarimi on suspension.
Lee said the sheriff's guilty plea to a misdemeanor false imprisonment charge fell "below the standards of decency and good faith."
A New Year's Eve dispute between the sheriff and his wife, Eliana Lopez, in front of their toddler son left her with a bruise on her arm.
Lee had given Mirkarimi the option of resigning or facing the misconduct probe. A defiant Mirkarimi refused to step down, saying his actions did not constitute official misconduct.
- IS attack on Afghan protest kills 80 people,...
- Penny-farthing owner keeps on riding
- Warner Bros. calms fans with fun 'Justice...
- A title and ship for new 'Star Trek' series:...
- New artificial reef is sunk off Florida's...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- Police: Munich suspect was obsessed with mass...
- Brie Larson confirmed as 'Captain Marvel'
- Sarah Silverman: Bernie-or-bust Dems... 49
- Is Bernie Sanders an atheist? 44
- Trump says Russia should find Clinton's... 42
- Obama boosts Clinton: Carry her like... 38
- Clinton wins historic nomination,... 37
- After turmoil, Sanders, Michelle Obama,... 31
- Dems' division, emails roil party on... 28
- Watch live at the Democratic National... 25