Ben Margot, Associated Press
SAN FRANCISCO — San Francisco's mayor has charged Sheriff Ross Mirkarimi with official misconduct stemming from his guilty plea in a domestic violence case involving his Venezuelan actress wife.
Mayor Ed Lee filed the charge Wednesday afternoon, a day after he announced that he would place Mirkarimi on suspension.
Lee said the sheriff's guilty plea to a misdemeanor false imprisonment charge fell "below the standards of decency and good faith."
A New Year's Eve dispute between the sheriff and his wife, Eliana Lopez, in front of their toddler son left her with a bruise on her arm.
Lee had given Mirkarimi the option of resigning or facing the misconduct probe. A defiant Mirkarimi refused to step down, saying his actions did not constitute official misconduct.
- President Obama: Ebola outbreak a threat to...
- Striking or spanking a child is not a...
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving door...
- Vikings place Adrian Peterson on exempt list,...
- Child poverty just dropped for the first time...
- Catholic leaders' deliberations over divorce...
- School police stock up on free military gear
- Here's why church choirs are dying
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 69
- US wealth gap putting the squeeze on... 26
- President Obama: Ebola outbreak a... 13
- Utah's Gov. Gary Herbert eyes more... 12
- Chicago, NY, Hawaii on Obama library's... 12
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 11
- School police stock up on free military... 10
- US won't rule out working with Iran... 7