Ben Margot, Associated Press
SAN FRANCISCO — San Francisco's mayor has charged Sheriff Ross Mirkarimi with official misconduct stemming from his guilty plea in a domestic violence case involving his Venezuelan actress wife.
Mayor Ed Lee filed the charge Wednesday afternoon, a day after he announced that he would place Mirkarimi on suspension.
Lee said the sheriff's guilty plea to a misdemeanor false imprisonment charge fell "below the standards of decency and good faith."
A New Year's Eve dispute between the sheriff and his wife, Eliana Lopez, in front of their toddler son left her with a bruise on her arm.
Lee had given Mirkarimi the option of resigning or facing the misconduct probe. A defiant Mirkarimi refused to step down, saying his actions did not constitute official misconduct.
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host a...
- US diplomats barred from ice bucket challenge
- Obama vows justice for killers of U.S....
- Twitter tries to block images of James Foley...
- Romney casts Arkansas race as way to fight Obama
- A tough label to chew on: What does...
- This week in history: The western Roman...
- How Twitter forced the news media to pay...
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host... 105
- 'Don't know' if Missouri teen shot with... 26
- Police, protesters collide again in... 25
- Obama vows justice for killers of U.S.... 24
- Texas Gov. Perry assembles high-powered... 23
- Obama heading back to DC in rare... 21
- Allow student loan bankruptcies,... 17
- Emerging solar plants scorch birds in... 14