Ben Margot, Associated Press
SAN FRANCISCO — San Francisco's mayor has charged Sheriff Ross Mirkarimi with official misconduct stemming from his guilty plea in a domestic violence case involving his Venezuelan actress wife.
Mayor Ed Lee filed the charge Wednesday afternoon, a day after he announced that he would place Mirkarimi on suspension.
Lee said the sheriff's guilty plea to a misdemeanor false imprisonment charge fell "below the standards of decency and good faith."
A New Year's Eve dispute between the sheriff and his wife, Eliana Lopez, in front of their toddler son left her with a bruise on her arm.
Lee had given Mirkarimi the option of resigning or facing the misconduct probe. A defiant Mirkarimi refused to step down, saying his actions did not constitute official misconduct.
- Utah humanitarian aid worker returns from...
- Southern Baptists tell pastors: hold line on...
- A place with a view: Inside NYC's tallest...
- Cause sought for space-supply rocket explosion
- Gunfire, arrests erupt as Giants fans revel...
- New dynasty: Giants capture 3rd title in 5 years
- Israeli leader lashes back at harsh US criticism
- Pope Francis: ‘Evolution is not...
- Pope Francis: ‘Evolution ... 62
- Pastor who performed gay marriage keeps... 29
- Southern Baptists tell pastors: hold... 26
- Utah among lowest in nation in... 20
- Churches proceed carefully when... 16
- George P. Bush says dad Jeb Bush is... 15
- Obama on Ebola fight: US can't seal... 14
- Israeli leader lashes back at harsh US... 10