Laura Seitz, Deseret News
People have sharply criticized outside group Freedom Works coming in to oppose Sen. Orrin Hatch. But what about other groups, such as Freedom Path and American Action Network, that have come in to try to destroy Dan Liljenquist, Hatch's main Republican opponent?
Is this the kind of "clout" that we're trying to preserve in Washington — the ability to smear and crush any bright newcomer who poses a threat to Hatch's long-held power? Hatch might not directly control these attack groups, but he has powerful friends who do.
If the delegates truly believe that the power belongs with the people, not the politicians, I hope they'll listen with an open mind to Liljenquist and Chris Herrod.
- In our opinion: Don't make Hagel a scapegoat;...
- SNL takes on Obama's executive order
- Michael Gerson: The big 'but' — Obama's...
- Letter: New slavery
- Letter: What this issue is really about
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Sea turtles and...
- Letter: Hooray for the initiative
- My view: Nonpartisan board elections ahead