SAN FRANCISCO — A person with knowledge of the negotiations says Alex Smith and the San Francisco 49ers are working to finalize a three-year contract.
NFL Network first reported the sides had agreed on a new deal. The person, speaking on condition of anonymity because no announcement had been made, said Tuesday night final details are still being worked out and an announcement could come as soon as Wednesday.
Earlier in the day, Peyton Manning was formally introduced in Denver after the 49ers pursued the four-time NFL MVP.
The 27-year-old Smith had met with Miami on Sunday but ultimately decided to stay put with the team that drafted him first overall in 2005.
Smith had a breakthrough season last year, helping San Francisco reach the NFC title game.
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings University of...
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks about...
- Morning links: Steve Young quotes Joseph...
- Brad Rock: GameDay is quite the day in Utah
- BYU vs. East Carolina: How to attend, watch,...
- High school football roundup for Friday, Oct. 9
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Utah and Utah State should...
- BYU football: East Carolina in 6 numbers
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 54
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks... 41
- Utah Utes football: The California... 30
- Utes back in the college football... 27
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings... 27
- BYU coaches continue helping players... 22
- Underrated East Carolina will test... 20
- Morning links: When will the Utes... 17