SAN FRANCISCO — A person with knowledge of the negotiations says Alex Smith and the San Francisco 49ers are working to finalize a three-year contract.
NFL Network first reported the sides had agreed on a new deal. The person, speaking on condition of anonymity because no announcement had been made, said Tuesday night final details are still being worked out and an announcement could come as soon as Wednesday.
Earlier in the day, Peyton Manning was formally introduced in Denver after the 49ers pursued the four-time NFL MVP.
The 27-year-old Smith had met with Miami on Sunday but ultimately decided to stay put with the team that drafted him first overall in 2005.
Smith had a breakthrough season last year, helping San Francisco reach the NFC title game.
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon State
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl game brawl
- Brady Poppinga: Confronting an unlikely opponent
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- BYU's Tyler Haws' recovery from an ankle...
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head coach...
- Jazz rookie Dante Exum looks like a kid but...
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 172
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 113
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 55
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 52
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head... 45
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 43