Photos courtesy of Provo MTC
SAO PAULO, BRAZIL — A full-time missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was hit by a bus Friday and suffered severe injuries that required emergency neurosurgery to relieve swelling on the brain.
Elder Britten Steven Schenk, 20, of Hyde Park, Utah, who was serving in the Brazil Sao Paulo East Mission of the LDS Church, was "struck by a bus while waiting on the sidewalk to cross the street," LDS Church spokesman Scott Trotter said.
A special blog created by Elder Schenk's family indicates the young missionary "is in a medically induced coma and on a breathing machine. He is still in very serious condition but the doctors are encouraged."
Trotter noted that Elder Schenk's parents, Steve and Karla Schenk, "have flown to Brazil to consult with doctors and to be with their son at this critical time."
Late Tuesday the Schenks reported from Brazil on their blog that "we feel like we witnessed another miracle." They indicated their son "was not doing well and things did not look good" on Monday.
"We said to each other that we can accept the Lord's will, but we will keep praying for miracles," they wrote. "It was so good to see and hold our son. We talked to him and told him of all the love, prayers and support."
According to the blog, the doctor said Elder Schenk's condition was "so much better than yesterday" although "he is still in very serious condition."
"The next few days will help us know more about his injuries," the Schenks wrote, adding that "they have taken him off the sedation, but (he) still has the ventilator."
"We are so thankful for the overwhelming love, support and prayers that we feel from so many," the blog posting continued. "We thank our Heavenly Father for his kind mercies."
Speaking for the church, Trotter said "our prayers are with him, his family and friends."
- 3 children, Ogden doctor die after boat...
- Elder Perry's 'wildfire' cancer shocked...
- Photos: A photographic look at Elder L. Tom...
- Police identify man found dead near Jordan River
- Koch brothers group launches campaign against...
- Body found near Jordan River trail in Salt...
- Couple arrested in Louisiana for $114K theft...
- Crews work to rescue boaters from Bear Lake...
- Koch brothers group launches campaign... 50
- 5 Browns sisters to promote bill on... 47
- Ex-teacher who abused students asks... 34
- Elder L. Tom Perry — an... 22
- Jammed highway lights fire under Arches... 18
- Elder Perry's 'wildfire' cancer shocked... 17
- Watchdog group accuses Utah lawmaker of... 15
- 3 children, Ogden doctor die after boat... 11