Photos courtesy of Provo MTC
SAO PAULO, BRAZIL — A full-time missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was hit by a bus Friday and suffered severe injuries that required emergency neurosurgery to relieve swelling on the brain.
Elder Britten Steven Schenk, 20, of Hyde Park, Utah, who was serving in the Brazil Sao Paulo East Mission of the LDS Church, was "struck by a bus while waiting on the sidewalk to cross the street," LDS Church spokesman Scott Trotter said.
A special blog created by Elder Schenk's family indicates the young missionary "is in a medically induced coma and on a breathing machine. He is still in very serious condition but the doctors are encouraged."
Trotter noted that Elder Schenk's parents, Steve and Karla Schenk, "have flown to Brazil to consult with doctors and to be with their son at this critical time."
Late Tuesday the Schenks reported from Brazil on their blog that "we feel like we witnessed another miracle." They indicated their son "was not doing well and things did not look good" on Monday.
"We said to each other that we can accept the Lord's will, but we will keep praying for miracles," they wrote. "It was so good to see and hold our son. We talked to him and told him of all the love, prayers and support."
According to the blog, the doctor said Elder Schenk's condition was "so much better than yesterday" although "he is still in very serious condition."
"The next few days will help us know more about his injuries," the Schenks wrote, adding that "they have taken him off the sedation, but (he) still has the ventilator."
"We are so thankful for the overwhelming love, support and prayers that we feel from so many," the blog posting continued. "We thank our Heavenly Father for his kind mercies."
Speaking for the church, Trotter said "our prayers are with him, his family and friends."
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- Tanker crash sends oil into Provo River as...
- Olene Walker, "one of Utah's finest public...
- Icy roads blamed for Cedar City car crash...
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving preparing...
- Troopers identify Colorado man as victim of...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- Students hope to invent windows of the future
- Ogden woman sues trooper, alleging he... 36
- Olene Walker, "one of Utah's finest... 15
- Man steals woman's boarding pass,... 13
- The new Thanksgiving tradition: A quick... 11
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving... 10
- Men and women: Understanding the wage... 9
- Utah liquor consumption is up, but... 8
- Recruiting crisis? UHP, other agencies... 6