Photos courtesy of Provo MTC
SAO PAULO, BRAZIL — A full-time missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was hit by a bus Friday and suffered severe injuries that required emergency neurosurgery to relieve swelling on the brain.
Elder Britten Steven Schenk, 20, of Hyde Park, Utah, who was serving in the Brazil Sao Paulo East Mission of the LDS Church, was "struck by a bus while waiting on the sidewalk to cross the street," LDS Church spokesman Scott Trotter said.
A special blog created by Elder Schenk's family indicates the young missionary "is in a medically induced coma and on a breathing machine. He is still in very serious condition but the doctors are encouraged."
Trotter noted that Elder Schenk's parents, Steve and Karla Schenk, "have flown to Brazil to consult with doctors and to be with their son at this critical time."
Late Tuesday the Schenks reported from Brazil on their blog that "we feel like we witnessed another miracle." They indicated their son "was not doing well and things did not look good" on Monday.
"We said to each other that we can accept the Lord's will, but we will keep praying for miracles," they wrote. "It was so good to see and hold our son. We talked to him and told him of all the love, prayers and support."
According to the blog, the doctor said Elder Schenk's condition was "so much better than yesterday" although "he is still in very serious condition."
"The next few days will help us know more about his injuries," the Schenks wrote, adding that "they have taken him off the sedation, but (he) still has the ventilator."
"We are so thankful for the overwhelming love, support and prayers that we feel from so many," the blog posting continued. "We thank our Heavenly Father for his kind mercies."
Speaking for the church, Trotter said "our prayers are with him, his family and friends."
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with...
- New Salt Lake County ordinance mandates pet...
- Most wanted fugitive arrested in West Valley...
- Could elephants' 'superhero' cancer guardian...
- Utah man impresses all four judges on 'The...
- Couple charged with stealing Hondas from TRAX...
- Thousands get in on blue foam craze for...
- UVU now the largest university in Utah, new...
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with... 62
- Chaffetz's run for speaker makes... 47
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 41
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason... 41
- Scholars disagree whether compromise... 33
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 26
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be... 19
- LDS Church leaders continue to... 17