And Ogwumike has a huge supporter in sophomore sister and teammate, Chiney.
"Stanford has just really put their athletes in an environment where they can shine," Chiney said. "They do it by not talking about it, but through their actions in school and out of school. We have a talented trio of No. 1 draft picks. I'm the biggest advocate: I think my sister should be No. 1. I'm not afraid to say that, I've been waiting to say it for a long time. We know Andrew's the No. 1 draft pick."
Appel still must earn that distinction.
Despite the hype, the pitcher is taking a focused approach to the process. He knows he must consistently perform for the second-ranked Cardinal to earn the No. 1 pick.
Getting to Omaha, Neb., for the College World Series would be a great start.
"I can't control who picks me or where I go," said the right-hander, who regularly hits 97-98 mph on the radar gun. "All I can control is how I play on the field, and that's going to be my focus. The season comes first and then the draft, and I'm going to focus on the season right now."
Bogut would be fine if he and Smith had this accomplishment all to themselves.
"Well, it's history. I hope it doesn't happen again so I can be the only person to have that acclaim," Bogut said when formally introduced by the Warriors on Friday night. "It's something that you aren't expecting, especially at the time Utah wasn't a big football school. For him to go, and the hype of me going, it's something the school is very proud of, I'm very proud of and Alex I'm sure is very proud of it. A Utah Ute fan would probably tell you they're very proud of it. It's going to be in the history books forever. It's a pretty decent achievement."
And one the Cardinal would like nothing more than to be part of as well.
"It's all kind of in the back of our minds. We know about it and have heard the talk. It's pretty cool," said Stanford third baseman Stephen Piscotty, another projected high draft pick. "I'm also roommates with Mark, so it's pretty special. He's a dear friend. I'm happy for him. I know all the talk, it's not going to affect him. The goal is to get to Omaha this year. If we do that I think he is going to be the No. 1 pick."
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to Cleveland...
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not on...
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by media...
- The original BCS busters: Looking back at...
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- Utah's Fiesta Bowl championship team: Where...
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is an...
- Rock On: Utah has LeBron Syndrome
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 224
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 75
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by... 61
- Peavler: Arizona vice president of... 53
- ACC media days has some interesting... 42
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not... 34
- The original BCS busters: Looking back... 31
- Utah's better BCS buster, 2004 or 2008? 24