Steve Helber, Associated Press
STANFORD, Calif. — Andrew Luck is set to become the NFL's No. 1 draft pick next month. Stanford pitcher Mark Appel is the likely first choice in June's amateur baseball draft. That's already figuring to be quite a feat for the school.
Add women's basketball star Nnemkadi Ogwumike into the mix as the probable top selection in the WNBA draft, and it very well could be a remarkable Cardinal three-fer.
Oddly enough, all three athletes happen to be from the Houston area.
A pair of Bay Area pros can relate to just how special it is. Quarterback Alex Smith and newly acquired Golden State Warriors big man Andrew Bogut are connected forever based on both being picked No. 1 from the same school the same year: in 2005 out of Utah.
- International tax competitiveness report: See...
- Jailed, some mentally ill inmates land in...
- Islamic State group calls for attacking...
- 'The Lion King' earns record box office
- 11 best—and worst—state tax systems
- Prosecutor: 800 rounds found in White House...
- Why a parent going to prison can be worse...
- 'Maze Runner' races past 'Tombstones' with...
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- Security breached: Intruder gets into... 9
- Thousands march in NYC, around globe... 9
- How much America wants to be taxed 9
- Iranian youth behind 'Happy' video... 8
- Islamic State group calls for attacking... 7
- It's not just young people —... 7
- PepsiCo latest sponsor to voice NFL... 4