Steve Helber, Associated Press
STANFORD, Calif. — Andrew Luck is set to become the NFL's No. 1 draft pick next month. Stanford pitcher Mark Appel is the likely first choice in June's amateur baseball draft. That's already figuring to be quite a feat for the school.
Add women's basketball star Nnemkadi Ogwumike into the mix as the probable top selection in the WNBA draft, and it very well could be a remarkable Cardinal three-fer.
Oddly enough, all three athletes happen to be from the Houston area.
A pair of Bay Area pros can relate to just how special it is. Quarterback Alex Smith and newly acquired Golden State Warriors big man Andrew Bogut are connected forever based on both being picked No. 1 from the same school the same year: in 2005 out of Utah.
- Pope in blistering critique of Vatican...
- NYPD: Cop ambush killer told passers-by to watch
- 9 films advance in Oscars shortlist for best...
- The Associated Press' top 10 movies of the year
- 10 years on, where did all the tsunami debris...
- 'Hobbit' goes out on top with $90.6 million...
- Spain hands out $3B in planet's biggest lottery
- Police: Fugitive killed Florida officer
- Vermont governor abandons single-payer... 33
- Forget Santa Claus, Virginia. Was there... 19
- Police boss: NYC cops 'quite simply,... 17
- A post-election flurry: Obama tests his... 16
- NYPD: Cop ambush killer told passers-by... 13
- Going it alone, Obama rocked the boat... 10
- Utah mourners for Pakistani children... 8
- Obama declares 2014 'a breakthrough... 7