Steve Helber, Associated Press
STANFORD, Calif. — Andrew Luck is set to become the NFL's No. 1 draft pick next month. Stanford pitcher Mark Appel is the likely first choice in June's amateur baseball draft. That's already figuring to be quite a feat for the school.
Add women's basketball star Nnemkadi Ogwumike into the mix as the probable top selection in the WNBA draft, and it very well could be a remarkable Cardinal three-fer.
Oddly enough, all three athletes happen to be from the Houston area.
A pair of Bay Area pros can relate to just how special it is. Quarterback Alex Smith and newly acquired Golden State Warriors big man Andrew Bogut are connected forever based on both being picked No. 1 from the same school the same year: in 2005 out of Utah.
- Two Christian ministers refuse to perform...
- Virus expert sees 'silver lining' in Ebola...
- The poorest of the poor in many Third World...
- Indiana man's confession leads to 7 bodies
- Expelled Nazis got millions in Social Security
- This type of high school can increase your...
- Wanted: Cities interested in hosting 2024...
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Africa and...
- Can public officials refuse to perform... 68
- Two Christian ministers refuse to... 39
- Vatican alters draft report translation... 23
- New Ebola 'czar' knows Washington, but... 22
- Official: 2nd worker isolated within 90... 21
- Why I stand with the Houston Five 20
- On campaign trail, Obama says GOP is... 15
- Gay marriage becomes legal in Arizona,... 14