In that visit last September to the Seattle Brooks Brothers, as he stacked his shirts and ties on the counter, he explained to the store manager he was stocking up because there wasn't a store in Salt Lake City, where he lives.
"Well there will be soon," he was told.
John was so thrilled to learn that America's oldest retailer was coming to the City Creek Center that he sent a letter of congratulations to Brooks Brothers management. In it, he mentioned his history with the brand and offered to help with "the launch" in his hometown.
Brooks Brothers wrote back with another idea. How about coming to work for us?
John wasn't looking for a job, but the more he mulled it over the more he warmed to the idea. Especially when the company asked him to run the made-to-measure suit desk?
"Who goes into retail at 55?" he asks.
But he asks it with a smile. Because he said yes.
"I get to introduce the Brooks Brothers brand to my hometown. How great is that?" says John. "Of course my family and friends are having a great time razzing me about my obsession. But I'm used to that. And I don't mind. I can't believe how excited I am about this happening."
Starting Thursday, his passion becomes his profession.
Top list: City Creek Center shops and stores
City Creek Center photo gallery: A view from demolition to construction in downtown Salt Lake City
Historical photo gallery: Historic Eagle Gate a prominent Salt Lake landmark
Historical photo gallery: Store displays give a window to Christmas over the years
Historical photo gallery: Downtown Salt Lake City thrived as shopping mecca for century
Historical photo gallery: Salt Lake streets have seen many changes over past 150 years
Lee Benson's About Utah column runs Monday and Friday. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre urges...
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close South...
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence of...
- Deer attacks man in Draper backyard, police say
- Two rescued after falling through ice at...
- Driver in DUI crash that maimed 11-year-old...
- Got an emergency? You can now text 911 in 3...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 56
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 39
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 28
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 18
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14
- Report: Communication breakdowns... 10
- About Utah: Selling bikes the... 7