STOCKTON, Calif — The Utah Grizzlies clinched their fifth straight ECHL playoff berth after crushing the Stockton Thunder 5-2 Saturday night.
Paul McIlveen scored the first goal of the game with five minutes remaining in the first period. The Grizzlies are now 7-1 in the last eight game where they score first.
Chris Donovan doubled the lead just 2:28 into the second period. Stockton fought back, cutting the lead to 3-2 halfway through second period on two power play goals.
The Grizzlies outshot the Thunder, the team with the worst record in the Western Conference, 36-25, and the pressure paid off in the third period.
Mitch Wahl and Colin Vock both scored to help send Utah into the playoffs.
These teams play again today at 4 p.m. in Stockton.
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon State
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl game brawl
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head coach...
- Brady Poppinga: Confronting an unlikely opponent
- BYU's Tyler Haws' recovery from an ankle...
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- Jazz rookie Dante Exum looks like a kid but...
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 170
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 108
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 55
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 51
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head... 45
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 43