STOCKTON, Calif — The Utah Grizzlies clinched their fifth straight ECHL playoff berth after crushing the Stockton Thunder 5-2 Saturday night.
Paul McIlveen scored the first goal of the game with five minutes remaining in the first period. The Grizzlies are now 7-1 in the last eight game where they score first.
Chris Donovan doubled the lead just 2:28 into the second period. Stockton fought back, cutting the lead to 3-2 halfway through second period on two power play goals.
The Grizzlies outshot the Thunder, the team with the worst record in the Western Conference, 36-25, and the pressure paid off in the third period.
Mitch Wahl and Colin Vock both scored to help send Utah into the playoffs.
These teams play again today at 4 p.m. in Stockton.
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- Utah football: Utes to take on a familiar...
- Utah State infographic: Aggies' Keeton...
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 66
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 59
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 29
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28