STOCKTON, Calif — The Utah Grizzlies clinched their fifth straight ECHL playoff berth after crushing the Stockton Thunder 5-2 Saturday night.
Paul McIlveen scored the first goal of the game with five minutes remaining in the first period. The Grizzlies are now 7-1 in the last eight game where they score first.
Chris Donovan doubled the lead just 2:28 into the second period. Stockton fought back, cutting the lead to 3-2 halfway through second period on two power play goals.
The Grizzlies outshot the Thunder, the team with the worst record in the Western Conference, 36-25, and the pressure paid off in the third period.
Mitch Wahl and Colin Vock both scored to help send Utah into the playoffs.
These teams play again today at 4 p.m. in Stockton.
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 84
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 62
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 41
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 36
- Former Utah basketball player spreads... 25
- Red and blue recruits: Inside Britain... 25