SEATTLE — The Utah women's basketball team faces a familiar foe in its second-round WNIT matchup, taking on Pac-12 rival Washington today.
Utah overcame a 14-point first-half deficit to defeat Utah State in the first round of the WNIT, 69-58.
"Obviously I am very pleased with the win," Utah head coach Anthony Levrets said. "We are very happy with the way we defended in the second half. We looked liked the basketball team that I'm used to. "
UW advanced to the second round of the WNIT following a 91-72 win over Cal Poly in its WNIT opener. The Huskies are 18-13 overall.
Utah defeated Washington in overtime back on Jan. 7 in Seattle in the only meeting between the two teams this season. After a very low-scoring second half that saw Utah tie the game in the final seconds, the Utes outscored the Huskies in the extra stanza 17-4 in the 49-36 victory.
"This time of year it doesn't matter who you're playing, if you're still playing you're playing a pretty good basketball team, and Washington is a very good basketball team," Levrets said. "I expect a physical battle, just like it was the first time."
Utah (16-15) at Washington (18-13)
Alaska Airlines Arena, Seattle
Today, 1 p.m. MT
Radio: 700 AM
- Cougars set to face Aggie QB Keeton in his...
- Utah State students plan a 'beard out' for...
- Dick Harmon: Aggies will give BYU best shot...
- Brighton four-star recruit Sione Lund commits...
- Stafford throws 5 TDs, BYU alum Ansah picks...
- Doug Robinson: Colorado-Utah: In the finale...
- BYU's bowl destination — Las Vegas or...
- Former Ute Delon Wright, former Cougar Jimmer...
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 58
- Utes fall to No. 23 in playoff... 50
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 42
- Twitter reacts to Utes' offensive... 35
- BYU holds on for tougher-than-expected... 34
- Doug Robinson: It's the same old sad... 31
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's... 28
- Utah State denies David Collette's... 27