Heslip simply could do no wrong. One of his 3s popped the net just as he was landing on his rump in front of the Bears' bench.
"He was unconscious tonight," Boyle marveled. "They run good stuff to get them open. They ran a back screen. Nate really guarded it well, and I think popped for a 3. I mean, he made some tough shots. But he was the difference in the game, there was no question about it, Brady Heslip and their 17 offensive rebounds."
And Heslip had six of his 3-pointers by halftime, too.
"The thing I like about our guys, Carlon said, we're not going to make excuses. We got beat," Boyle said. "But Brady Heslip was the difference in the game, and I thought Pierre Jackson was terrific as well."
Jackson chipped in 15 points for the Bears.
"We knew going in, those were the two guys. We had to contain Pierre Jackson and we had to get to Brady Heslip," Boyle said. "We didn't do a good job with either one. Pierre had 15 points and 10 assists, and Heslip goes off for 27."
Booker led the Buffs with 15 points, Dufault had 14 and Roberson and Brown each had 13.
"Besides tonight's loss, obviously, it's been the funnest two weeks of my life with these guys, just everything that we've accomplished," Dufault said. "It's just been really special and something I'll never forget."
AP National Writer Eddie Pells contributed. Follow Arnie Stapleton on Facebook and on Twitter: http://twitter.com/arniestapleton
- Commentary: Long-term success in independence...
- Cougars in the pros: Austin Collie re-signs...
- 2014 NBA draft tracker: An ongoing look at...
- Former Cougar star Jackson Emery shares...
- High school boys basketball: Underdogs shine...
- High school sports: Thursday's prep roundup
- Illuminating: Utah Olympic gold medalist...
- BYU basketball: Cougars face No. 21 UMass in...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 102
- College football re-rankings: Where do... 60
- Unbeaten Utes hit the road for the... 58
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much... 57
- Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve... 52
- BYU basketball: 3 players record... 47
- Dick Harmon: USC taps BYU experience... 46
- Commentary: Long-term success in... 43