PORTLAND, Ore. — Will Sheehey made a 15-footer from the baseline with 12.7 seconds left after a shot was blocked right to him and No. 4 seed Indiana rallied to beat VCU 63-61 in the third round of the NCAA tournament on Saturday.
Rob Brandenberg got a great look at a potential winning 3-pointer but it rimmed off at the buzzer, ending the Rams' bid for another surprising March run.
Indiana advanced to the round of 16 for the first time in a decade and just four years after Tom Crean inherited a decimated program. The Hoosiers did it by rallying from down 59-53 with 6 minutes remaining, including Victor Oladipo's driving three-point play with 46.5 seconds left that tied it at 61.
Christian Watford led Indiana (27-8) with 16 points and Cody Zeller added 14. Sheehey finished with eight points; his game-winner was his only basket of the second half.
Bradford Burgess scored 12 of his 15 points in the first half for VCU (29-7).
No. 3 BAYLOR 80, COLORADO 63: At Albuquerque, Brady Heslip made nine 3-pointers and finished with 27 points Saturday to lift Baylor. Heslip, a transfer from Boston College who grew up in Canada, helped break open a tight game with a pair of 3-pointers that were part of a 14-0 run and gave the third-seeded Bears (29-7) a 75-60 lead.
No. 1 KENTUCKY 87, No. 8 IOWA STATE 71: At Louisville, Ky., freshman Marquis Teague scored a career-high 24 points and top-seeded Kentucky put together another complete performance.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- BYU starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson,...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 60
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 45