PORTLAND, Ore. — Will Sheehey made a 15-footer from the baseline with 12.7 seconds left after a shot was blocked right to him and No. 4 seed Indiana rallied to beat VCU 63-61 in the third round of the NCAA tournament on Saturday.
Rob Brandenberg got a great look at a potential winning 3-pointer but it rimmed off at the buzzer, ending the Rams' bid for another surprising March run.
Indiana advanced to the round of 16 for the first time in a decade and just four years after Tom Crean inherited a decimated program. The Hoosiers did it by rallying from down 59-53 with 6 minutes remaining, including Victor Oladipo's driving three-point play with 46.5 seconds left that tied it at 61.
Christian Watford led Indiana (27-8) with 16 points and Cody Zeller added 14. Sheehey finished with eight points; his game-winner was his only basket of the second half.
Bradford Burgess scored 12 of his 15 points in the first half for VCU (29-7).
No. 3 BAYLOR 80, COLORADO 63: At Albuquerque, Brady Heslip made nine 3-pointers and finished with 27 points Saturday to lift Baylor. Heslip, a transfer from Boston College who grew up in Canada, helped break open a tight game with a pair of 3-pointers that were part of a 14-0 run and gave the third-seeded Bears (29-7) a 75-60 lead.
No. 1 KENTUCKY 87, No. 8 IOWA STATE 71: At Louisville, Ky., freshman Marquis Teague scored a career-high 24 points and top-seeded Kentucky put together another complete performance.
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 47
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 29
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28