Don Ryan, Associated Press
PORTLAND, Ore. — Will Sheehey made a 15-footer from the baseline with 12.7 seconds left after a shot was blocked right to him and No. 4 seed Indiana rallied to beat VCU 63-61 in the third round of the NCAA tournament on Saturday.
Rob Brandenberg got a great look at a potential winning 3-pointer but it rimmed off at the buzzer, ending the Rams' bid for another surprising March run.
Indiana advanced to the round of 16 for the first time in a decade and just four years after Tom Crean inherited a decimated program. The Hoosiers did it by rallying from down 59-53 with 6 minutes remaining, including Victor Oladipo's driving three-point play with 46.5 seconds left that tied it at 61.
Christian Watford led Indiana (27-8) with 16 points and Cody Zeller added 14. Sheehey finished with eight points; his game-winner was his only basket of the second half.
Bradford Burgess scored 12 of his 15 points in the first half for VCU (29-7).
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- Dick Harmon: John Beck very impressed with...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle Whittingham...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- BYU's worldwide fan base highlighted in...
- Brad Rock: Jazz dreaming of a Blazing future
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 103
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 75
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 64
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 45
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34
- BYU vs. No. 21 UMass live blog:... 27