Utah Jazz: Tyrone Corbin finding ways to get everyone on the floor
Just another example of why O'Connor and the Jazz are optimistic about the future. The GM wouldn't say if other teams came asking for any of those four potential-packed guys, but he did reconfirm that the group gives reason for hope.
"We like our young assets," he said, "and we weren't ready to part with that."
O'Connor also echoed a theory of Corbin's — that quality is more important than quantity when it comes to playing time.
"It's important every year to get into the playoffs," O'Connor said. "The thing that I think is a key for us — and we said it from the beginning — is to play meaningful games. … The intensity picks up, the quality of play picks up and those are the things that you get improvement on with your players."
It doesn't hurt that Corbin — and their older teammates — actually like the Junior Jazz members, too.
Added Corbin: "It's a great group of guys that continue to work to get better."
For now, that's all the Jazz can ask — for those players and the team.
"I'm comfortable with where we're at, but you're never happy. You shouldn't be," O'Connor said. "You shouldn't be happy in any situation. There's room for improvement."
Overall, Jazz brass are happy with the amount of winning and developing that's gone on this season.
"We're incorporating trying to play some of the younger players and also being able to try and compete to win the game," O'Connor said. "He's been able to handle that pretty darn well, and they've earned those minutes."
Warriors at Jazz
Today, 7 p.m.
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working to be...
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- An early look at the preseason Heisman hopefuls
- Mendenhall comfortable with BYU's quarterback...
- Recruiting central: Top 25 prep football...
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- High school football: Louis Wong, Tony...
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 104
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 97
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 94
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 49
- Playoffs ‘almost... 36
- Former Ute Zane Beadles donates... 27
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 25
- BYU cornerback Jordan Johnson has... 24