Utah Jazz: Tyrone Corbin finding ways to get everyone on the floor
Just another example of why O'Connor and the Jazz are optimistic about the future. The GM wouldn't say if other teams came asking for any of those four potential-packed guys, but he did reconfirm that the group gives reason for hope.
"We like our young assets," he said, "and we weren't ready to part with that."
O'Connor also echoed a theory of Corbin's — that quality is more important than quantity when it comes to playing time.
"It's important every year to get into the playoffs," O'Connor said. "The thing that I think is a key for us — and we said it from the beginning — is to play meaningful games. … The intensity picks up, the quality of play picks up and those are the things that you get improvement on with your players."
It doesn't hurt that Corbin — and their older teammates — actually like the Junior Jazz members, too.
Added Corbin: "It's a great group of guys that continue to work to get better."
For now, that's all the Jazz can ask — for those players and the team.
"I'm comfortable with where we're at, but you're never happy. You shouldn't be," O'Connor said. "You shouldn't be happy in any situation. There's room for improvement."
Overall, Jazz brass are happy with the amount of winning and developing that's gone on this season.
"We're incorporating trying to play some of the younger players and also being able to try and compete to win the game," O'Connor said. "He's been able to handle that pretty darn well, and they've earned those minutes."
Warriors at Jazz
Today, 7 p.m.
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former Cougar...
- For Star Lotulelei, Super Bowl loss leaves...
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU filled...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to assist...
- Rudy Gobert made Suns pay for Foul-A-Frenchie...
- Copper Hills lives up to expectations with...
- Mike Sorensen: Manning's storybook ending...
- Cougars regrouping, going back on the road...
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State,... 103
- Morning links: Grading the BYU, Utah... 84
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to... 66
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired... 33
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to... 29
- Defense, rebounding, big second half... 22
- Brad Rock: No BYU, but no regrets for... 22
- Cougars regrouping, going back on the... 20