Nati Harnik, Associated Press
OMAHA, Neb. — Kyle O'Quinn had 26 points and 14 rebounds, making several big plays in the closing minutes to help No. 15 seed Norfolk State stun second-seeded Missouri 86-84 on Friday in the West Regional.
Pendarvis Williams and Chris McEachin each added 20 points for the MEAC champion Spartans (26-9), who made their first trip to the NCAA tournament a memorable one.
They became the fifth No. 15 seed to topple a No. 2 and the first since fellow conference member Hampton knocked off Iowa State in 2001.
O'Quinn had a chance to put the game away when he went to the foul line with 3.8 seconds to go, but the 70 percent free throw shooter missed both.
Missouri called a timeout with 2.9 seconds to go and got the ball in the hands of Phil Pressey, but his long 3-pointer from the wing bounced off the back iron as the final buzzer sounded.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 23
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 22