Nati Harnik, Associated Press
OMAHA, Neb. — Kyle O'Quinn had 26 points and 14 rebounds, making several big plays in the closing minutes to help No. 15 seed Norfolk State stun second-seeded Missouri 86-84 on Friday in the West Regional.
Pendarvis Williams and Chris McEachin each added 20 points for the MEAC champion Spartans (26-9), who made their first trip to the NCAA tournament a memorable one.
They became the fifth No. 15 seed to topple a No. 2 and the first since fellow conference member Hampton knocked off Iowa State in 2001.
O'Quinn had a chance to put the game away when he went to the foul line with 3.8 seconds to go, but the 70 percent free throw shooter missed both.
Missouri called a timeout with 2.9 seconds to go and got the ball in the hands of Phil Pressey, but his long 3-pointer from the wing bounced off the back iron as the final buzzer sounded.
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah State
- Doug Robinson: A victory lap for Hot Rod Hundley
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for Miami...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with Wagner...
- Blocking the net helped propel BYU to Final...
- Preparation, hard work help BYU's Koroma earn...
- Ready or not, Vegas: Here come the Utes
- Jazz empathetic for fired Kings coach, happy...
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 67
- Utes rally but fall short against Kansas 61
- BYU has something to prove, looking to... 60
- BYU whips Weber State, gets a scare... 48
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 40
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 32
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 30
- BYU women's volleyball advances to the... 25