Mark Humphrey, Associated Press
NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Yancy Gates had 15 points and 10 rebounds as Cincinnati withstood a late rally by Texas to win 65-59 on Friday in the second round of the NCAA tournament's East Regional.
The sixth-seeded Bearcats (25-10) jumped out to a 16-2 lead while Texas opened the game 1 of 14 and hit 16 percent for the entire first half.
After trailing 31-17 at halftime, the Longhorns attacked, hitting five of their first seven from 3-point range.
With 3:44 to play, Texas' Jonathan Holmes hit a layup to tie it at 52, but the Longhorns would get no closer. Gates hit a shot over Clint Chapman's head with 1:11 to give Cincinnati a 58-52 lead, and the Bearcats hit five free throws in the final 36 seconds.
J'Covan Brown led No. 11 seed Texas (20-14) with 19 points, and Chapman had 10 points and 14 rebounds.
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon State
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl game brawl
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head coach...
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- BYU men's basketball: Winder steps up big in...
- Jordan's Austin Kafentzis will keep his...
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all brawl...
- BYU closes season with painful loss in Miami...
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 170
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 107
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 55
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 51
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head... 45
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 43