GUARDS: Devin Harris didn't shoot all that well, but he did finish with 18 points. Raja Bell started after being listed as a game-time decision, quickly got into foul trouble and only played 15 minutes. Minnesota's Luke Ridnour hit a couple of big 3-pointers in the fourth quarter to help force overtime. Martell Webster's crazy hair was more notable than his play, as he had 10 points in 36 minutes.
Forwards: Paul Millsap redeemed himself for his missed layup at the end of regulation with an important steal, assist and jumper in overtime. The Jazz might not have won if he hadn't stepped up in the extra period. Josh Howard wasn't much of a factor with 10 points, two assists and two rebounds. He only played 21 minutes. The Jazz's defense made things tough on Kevin Love, who put up big numbers but had to work for them and had a rough shooting night. Wesley Johnson made a couple of big baskets for the Timberwolves in overtime.
Centers: Al Jefferson didn't have a huge scoring night, but contributed with 12 points and 13 rebounds. Minnesota's Nikola Pekovic continued his surprisingly solid season with 20 points and nine rebounds.
Bench: The Jazz's reserves dominated. Gordon Hayward had a season-high 26 points, and rookie Alec Burks played all of the fourth quarter and overtime. He finished with 15 points. Utah's bench outscored Minnesota's reserves 53-23. Derrick Favors had a whopping 16 rebounds in 22 minutes. Only J.J. Barea did much for the Timberwolves off the bench, as he had 11 points.
OVERALL: The Jazz needed this win. It gave them the tiebreaker over the Timberwolves after winning the season series 2-1. It also showed them that younger players such as Burks and Favors can thrive in big moments when given the chance. A loss would have been disastrous after the Jazz blew a 12-point lead in the game's final five minutes, but give them credit for regrouping and getting the job done in overtime.
- Red and Blue Recruits: 'Sometimes when it...
- Some surprises, lots of defense, on first day...
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Honoring a legend: BYU star quarterback Jim...
- Doug Robinson: Making sense of retired...
- No. 18 BYU expecting 'difficult, volatile'...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Peavler: Is Utah State BYU's biggest rivalry...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 295
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 83
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 60
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Peavler: Is Utah State BYU's biggest... 48
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 45
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39