GUARDS: Devin Harris didn't shoot all that well, but he did finish with 18 points. Raja Bell started after being listed as a game-time decision, quickly got into foul trouble and only played 15 minutes. Minnesota's Luke Ridnour hit a couple of big 3-pointers in the fourth quarter to help force overtime. Martell Webster's crazy hair was more notable than his play, as he had 10 points in 36 minutes.
Forwards: Paul Millsap redeemed himself for his missed layup at the end of regulation with an important steal, assist and jumper in overtime. The Jazz might not have won if he hadn't stepped up in the extra period. Josh Howard wasn't much of a factor with 10 points, two assists and two rebounds. He only played 21 minutes. The Jazz's defense made things tough on Kevin Love, who put up big numbers but had to work for them and had a rough shooting night. Wesley Johnson made a couple of big baskets for the Timberwolves in overtime.
Centers: Al Jefferson didn't have a huge scoring night, but contributed with 12 points and 13 rebounds. Minnesota's Nikola Pekovic continued his surprisingly solid season with 20 points and nine rebounds.
Bench: The Jazz's reserves dominated. Gordon Hayward had a season-high 26 points, and rookie Alec Burks played all of the fourth quarter and overtime. He finished with 15 points. Utah's bench outscored Minnesota's reserves 53-23. Derrick Favors had a whopping 16 rebounds in 22 minutes. Only J.J. Barea did much for the Timberwolves off the bench, as he had 11 points.
OVERALL: The Jazz needed this win. It gave them the tiebreaker over the Timberwolves after winning the season series 2-1. It also showed them that younger players such as Burks and Favors can thrive in big moments when given the chance. A loss would have been disastrous after the Jazz blew a 12-point lead in the game's final five minutes, but give them credit for regrouping and getting the job done in overtime.
- Newcomers enjoy BYU hoops debut in Cougar Tipoff
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the...
- Live streams: 2A & 3A volleyball championship...
- High school football: Improbable final play...
- Felt's Facts, playoff edition: Newcomers,...
- Former BYU pitcher Jeremy Guthrie's little...
- Mormons in the rodeo: LDS competitors find...
- Utah Jazz fall to Rockets on opening night
- BYU needs win at Middle Tennessee to... 78
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 58
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 54
- High school football: State tournament... 50
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- BYU men, women both picked to finish... 32
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the... 30