SCHLADMING, Austria — Lindsey Vonn added to her impressive season Thursday, winning the World Cup super-G title for her 16th career crystal globe and the fourth in super-G by finishing sixth in the final race in the discipline.
The overall World Cup champion narrowly avoiding skiing out on a blistering run, taking a 1.22-second advantage over leader Viktoria Rebensburg of Germany into the final intermediate time check, but went off course and just made the next gate shortly before the finish.
"I had a great run, but was much too straight in that banana turn," Vonn said. "Coaches had told me I could approach that turn straight, but at my speed it was just impossible."
Vonn had to slow down to get back on the course and lost almost 2 seconds to trail Rebensburg by 0.57 at the finish.
Vonn has two races left to earn 53 points and overtake Austrian great Hermann Maier's record of 2,000 World Cup points in one single season. She is closing in on the women's mark of 1,980 points held by Janica Kostelic of Croatia.
Anna Fenninger needed to win the super-G to close the 94-point gap on Vonn, but the Austrian placed fourth. The American has won four of seven races in the discipline this season.
Vonn may skip the slalom on Saturday and put in extra giant slalom training. She failed to finish her last three slaloms, while she's had an outstanding GS season with her first two wins in the discipline.
"I am not sure to do the slalom and maybe prepare for the GS," Vonn said. "Or I might do the slalom to try to get some points to put pressure off the GS. That decision I will make tomorrow. Let's see how much energy I've left and go from there."
In sunny and warm conditions, Rebensburg finished in 1 minute, 24.54 seconds to beat Julia Mancuso of the United States by 0.18 seconds and Marion Rolland of France by 0.21 to win her first career super-G race.
Mancuso's second place meant the American overtook Fenninger in the super-G standings to finish second behind Vonn.
- Will BYU cornerback Jordan Johnson play vs....
- Enemy camp: What UConn media thinks about...
- Ranking the best season by a quarterback in...
- Dick Harmon: It's Taysom Hill time on the...
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks off...
- Felt's Facts Week 2: Utah high school...
- The good, the bad and the most likely:...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- College football predictions: How will... 137
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 62
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 48
- Utah football: Utes eye successful start 42
- Enemy camp: What UConn media thinks... 41
- True freshman Brad Kaaya beats out... 36