BYU basketball: Cougars hope to continue NCAA tournament after winning largest-ever comeback
The Cougars will need to slow down the Golden Eagles' one-two punch of Crowder — whose father, Corey, played for the Utah Jazz — and senior guard Darius Johnson-Odom, who averages 18.5 points per game.
"They're a very talented team. A lot of great players," said BYU forward Brandon Davies. "They have a lot of firepower. It's going to take our best effort to come out and play our best game to get a win."
Rose knows his team will need to turn in a stellar defensive effort against Marquette.
"We're going to have to make Marquette shoot contested shots. It's a team that loves to drive the ball, loves to get to the rim," Rose said. "They're really patient offensively. It's a real interesting style because they'll push the ball really hard in transition and try to take a quick shot. If they don't do that, then they're going to get the ball out, and they're going to work it and try to drive that thing and get a shot at the rim. Hopefully we'll be able to contain their dribble penetration and keep the ball away from the rim."
If the Cougars are going to spring a big upset today, they'll need to come out strong from the opening tipoff, unlike their abysmal start against Iona.
Zylstra said because his team has already played a game in the tournament, it could have an advantage today "because we know the feelings that come from playing in a situation like this, an atmosphere like this. So we take it as an advantage for us as we have already got our legs under us. We're happy that we're able to play and come into this next game already having a game under our belt."
NOTES: The Cougars woke up early Wednesday, ate breakfast in Dayton, then rode a bus to Louisville, arriving at about 2:30 ET. BYU held its media interviews and practice at the KFC Yum! Center later in the afternoon … The Cougars have won four of their last six NCAA Tournament games … The other tournament games being playing in Louisville on Thursday are Colorado State vs. Murray State; Kentucky vs. Western Kentucky; and Iowa State vs. Connecticut.
COUGARS ON THE AIR
No. 14 BYU (26-8)
vs. No. 3 Marquette (25-7)
Thursday, March 15th, 12:45 p.m.
KFC Yum! Center
TV: CBS Radio: 1160 AM, 102.7 FM
- Saturday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- BYU report card: Defense holds its own...
- Reasons for Travis Wilson's confidence:...
- BYU overcomes mistakes, downs UConn, 30-13,...
- Dick Harmon: Mangum uses chunk yardage in...
- Utah high school football roundup: Frantic...
- Brad Rock: Kent Myers should have started for...
- ESPN's College GameDay is coming to Utah next...
- With difficult September schedule over,... 55
- Dick Harmon: After week of soul... 40
- Utah's win over Oregon proof of what... 24
- Former BYU quarterback John Beck says... 23
- Guest commentary: Utah's success and... 22
- New Utah basketball facility has high... 21
- BYU overcomes mistakes, downs UConn,... 21
- Morning links: Kyle Whittingham 'doing... 20